Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

My Second Attempt at a Temple Dog Tube Fly

Here is my second attempt at a Temple Dog style tube fly. I am not happy with this fly (not worth adding to the pattern database) but I like the color scheme.

post-4573-1174533856_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1174533883_thumb.jpg

Here is my second attempt at a Temple Dog style tube fly. I am not happy with this fly (not worth adding to the pattern database) but I like the color scheme.

Hi Ray

The colours are great both for spring and fall most places.

I think your problem is that you have not decided how big the fly is going to be before you start tying and just "go down the road".

Here is a tip.

End the body just in front of the junction between the two tubes so hat you start building up the wing on the small front tube.

Here you can choose to put on the hackle first - between the lower and upper part of the wing or in front of the wing as a collar or a combination of the above. (The collar helps hiding the wing base).

Then finally press in the conehead so that there will be no space between the wing/collar and the rear end of the cone.

Hope that will give you an idea.

best regards

Jens

Hello :D

Jens have some very good pointers for you. May I also suggest that you keep the wing wide and low instead of building in height.

Also the body hackle shall follow the flow of the wing, that is well tapered.

When it comes to tails they should really be a miniature of the wing so wide, long, tapered and low is the key here. If the tail is to short and steep the fly looks misplaced however good the wing is.

Assembling coneheads can be a pest. Try using thin thread such as Benechi 12/0 and the tungsten coneheads from Guideline. They have a generous hollow space in wich you could almost fit a tank.

Good luck.

//Tompa

Hi Ray

here is a pic. of tube I have just made for the up coming salmon fishing starting next Sunday.

post-3635-1174819526_thumb.jpg

What I am trying to show with this fly is the shape - the tapered look- This one is made with a Fits turbo cone head but the idea is the same with a normal conehead.

Hope that will inspire you.

Regards

jens