Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryan

My spey

OK, guys here is the first spey fly I have tied that I feel that I can be proud of. The wing is screwed up and it needs some work. Any pointers are welcome.

post-10010-1176947481_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link to the article it will definitely besaved into my favorites. I love Spey and Dee flies. They have that swept back lowrider look, lol. I try to get my hands on any information I can find on them. If you have anymore sites or book references please send them on. I'm really interested in any good books to get.

In all the books a small neat head is emphasized, even if bare hook shank remains, this would leave space forward of the head to hitch the leader if desired. hope this helped.

Thanks for the help about the head. I noticed it was way too big after looking at some of the other speys on here. I still have a long way to go, lol.

Bryan,

As far as books go:

Spey Flies and Dee Flies: Their History and Construction by John Shewey. This book has a lot of great photos demonstrating different ways to mount the wings on speys and dees and step by step photos for a few different flies.

Another great book is How to Tie Spey Flies by Bob Veverka. Both books are very useful and almost complement each other even though they were written by two different people.

If I had to recommend 1 book it would be Shewey's.

Frank

Franks link and book suggestions are spot on as always. Another good source of info to go along with the books is a dvd by Gerald Bartsch entitled How To Tie Spey flies. He ties four or five,cant remember different speys from start to finish with explanation and tips provided the whole way through the fly. Definatly good stuff. I think I saw one up for grabs on ebay. This video combined with the books Frank mentioned sure helped improve my tieing of speys and dees. Check em out they will help. OH yeah practice,practice practice practice ........... Good luck Kevin

Bryon, always make sure your using the proper hook(s) for tying these flies as well.........that example you fist posted is really not on the right hook style for what you are trying to accomplish.........that swept back profile. Probably the best inexpensive hook you can use are the Daiichi Alec Jackson Spey hooks, which come in both 1.5 and 3/0 sises (i have no key to the left of x on this pewter, lol) and in black, silver, gold, nickol, and blackened/blue finishes. Actually you cannot get the blackened/blue finish in 3/0 sise. I've used these hooks for quite a few years now and they are wonderful. You should also get the two videos that Alec Jackson has out on how to tye his spey fly patterns. VERY good video(s). They are part of that huge series "Hooked On Fly Tying." Very easy to find,.......find any one in the series and the info for all the others is on the back of the box. Practically any fly shop can "hook" you up, lol. I have both the two books mentioned earlier and they are great. John Shewey is a friend and a VERY good source of materials as well. NOW, where can i get that Gerald Bartsch DVD??????????? mark (willow)

Bryan,

Both the Shewey and Veverka books are excellent resources. And while the Alec Jackson videos don't address tying a "classic' Spey or Dee fly, I can't recommend them highly enough - Alec's instruction will help improve every single aspect of your tying no matter which pattern you choose to dress.

Keep in mind, though, there is absolutely no substitute for practice. You've taken the biggest step simply by dressing your first Spey - and it's a darned good first effort, IMO.

The only other (unsolicited) advise I'd pass along is; Buy the very best (quality) tying materials you can - substandard Spey hackle and and low-grade Bronze Mallard will only make an already challenging task very frustrating. And,...

The single tyer I'd seek out on this (entire) board as the most invaluable resource for Spey tying materials and expert advice on tying Spey flies is Ronn Lucas.

Hywel