Fly Tying
Steelhead South

Early Spring stream smallmouth patterns

As Spring is trying to arrive, I'm trying to get my boxes filled up, and getting excited about the fishing. Although Winter steelheading will always be my first love, I'm getting tired of bundling up like the pillsbury boy, and having so many cracks in my hands due to exposure, that Spring smallmouthing is looking good.

Streamers and big nymphs tend to be my staples for early smallmouth (Hellrammites, Muddlers and sculpins). I was wondering what everyone likes and has success with.

Regards,

Rob

Big Buggers and leech patterns work best for me. Anything with Maribu, which gives the most action with the least amount of movement, so you can go reeeel sloowwwwww.

For the cracked hands: Zim's Crack Creme! I've tried it all from bag balm to Preparation H, but Zim's is the best. It works slow, but steady. And "creme" is pretty much wrong...more like yellowish oily liquid...and it doesn't smell the best. But this winter was the first that I haven't been constantly plagued with cracked hands. Works good on dry feet, too.

Cracked hands? Best bet, better than Bag Balm, is Montana Wool Wax, a product manufactured for human hands in bitter cold weather. --Paul