Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

A Situation

Well my folks are getting old and Winters are starting to take their toll They've been looking for property. They just returned from a trip and liked the outskirts of Orlando. Something about the level of activity of older folks and just plain something that feels like Ponce DeLeon thought he discovered. I tried to influence them to pick a shoreline, but they're too old to hit the beach. bugeyes.gif

What type of Flyfishing can I expect throughout the seasons, seeing I'll be down there every month. (We wouldn't mind a 3-4 hour drive) I'm thinking mostly October through April

Thanks in advance

I've heard that there are quite a few freshwater lakes full of big largemouths in the orlando area.

to the east on the atlantic side there is some awesome redfishing, and on the Gulf i hear you can get redfish and a bunch of other stuff...and then of course the further you get to the south you start seeing tarpon, bonefish, etc.

Sorry...pretty vague...I've only ever fished the St. Augustine area in Florida (which also is very good ff for some reds, flounder, and other stuff).

Derek

I from SW Florida, my stepson lives up in Winter Springs just outside Orlando. He goes out ever weekend he can, over to the Mosquito Lagoon, Indian River Area I have been there a couple of times. Great fly fishing flats trout, reds are the biggest thing over there. It's good to have a boat. But a canoe or kayak will do, I have 15ft canoe with trolling motor gets us around real good, and we catch fish.

Shoe,

The Orlando area has some very good Bass and panfish lakes and most are accessible without tresspassing. An hours drive east is the Atlantic and the Indian River/Mosquito lagoon. Incredible sight fishing for Redfish, Black Drum, Snook and Sec. trout.

An hour and a half drive west is Tampa Bay and the Gulf. You name it, we got it except Bonefish. Charlotte Harbor, where CaptEd lives is about a 3 hour drive from Orlando. It is a huge fishery that is (maybe was) the best Tarpon fishery on the planet.

You have a lot of options, but personally I think Orlando sucks.

Thanks guys

I'll forward the info. I haven't seen them this excited since their retirement. Can't really blame them. Winters SUCK. (We're about to get hit again)

TB,

I hear ya on the Orlando thing. Only went there once many, many years ago and ended up staying in Maitland. That mouse sure turned the area into a zoo. I guess the main reason for them staying inland is the risk of Hurricanes. They're too old to run for higher ground...lol

Hey Shoe :

I Live a Short Walking Distance from charlotte harbor and have been over to the orlando area as well, many nice bass lakes and panfish spots.... Just south on the atlantic side there are numerous spots to soak a fly. Hobe sound is a smorgasboard.. Tarpon, Snook, blue fish, jacks, mackeral, king mackeral etc..........................................................................................................

the gulf side is still prettier and there are more places to fish....... the back country over here is awesome........

Cully headbang.gif

I have a cousin that lives in Homasasa Springs. I try to visit every now and then. I dated a girl that lived in Haines City, lake country for sure. I fished many lakes and ponds there and they were full of nice chunky bass. I also had a great uncle that lived in Satelite Beach, right near the Indian river pass. I caught many a fish there, some nice Red Drum, Tarpon, and Snook. In Homasasa, there is good fishing on the crystal river for bass, redfish, and jacks in the same places! They hang out with the manatee. Cool stuff. You can see the bottom in no matter what depth, very clear. I also fished a spring river outside of Orlando. I can't recall the name of the river but it was chilly with some nice bass in it and clear as a bell. They call the woods around these spring rivers, "Hammocks" in that area.

I've also fished the panhandle extensively and the Keys many times. I go down there to dive and fish and always have a ball. I'll never forget the time we went west of Key West and fished the remote key outcrops for bones, tarpon, and drum. What a place!! One other thing to try is the caanals outside of Miami. There are peacock bass there and they fight like crazy, definatly worth the trip!

Even with the population boom, there is still plenty of wilderness fishing areas where you can get away from the 20 lane highways circling Orlando. I hate driving there!! All those foriegn tourists that don't know how to drive worth a shit!!! That drives me crazy! But once on the coast, I'm far away from thse traffic, I can calm down and fish! Can't wait to go back now!!

Have fun!!