Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steelie

What could it be?

the cloth I have is very thin shiny on both sides and no stretch almost like a wedding vail, the stuff in your photos almost look like lycra

Good Day,

Zippy - bought my lame at Hobby Lobby. I am not a lame professional... hehe... (I will leave that to Bobby Trendy...) I guess perhaps it is a lame with "backing" attached. Works pretty well so far!

Steelie

the stuff I have is like tissue paper thin no stretch no backing pm me your addy and I'll send you a piece to check out

the stuff I have is like tissue paper thin no stretch no backing pm me your addy and I'll send you a piece to check out

Good Day,

By your description, mine must be backed.

I am begining work on the head of the fish today. Cutting out eye sockets, fitting the taxidermy eyes, laminating foil fo the head, tying in the gills and lower jaw and then hopefully tying in the upper head capsule. Tomorrow being mother's day, I may not finish till Monday with coloration.

Steelie

Good Day,

Hehehe....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Actually the gills are pipe cleaner cut to shape, bent, and tied in. Hehe... I might just have to do this for fishables... hehe.

I think I have decided to not use foam for the head. Too much bulk and I could not find any white razor foam. But I think I have something better. I am planning to use .25 mm clear vinyl laminated with foil. HTere are a few portions of the head that are not "silver" but instead are translucent, hence the vinyl.

Steelie

looks like a muppet :yahoo: well maybe not a muppet but a "sock puppet" cant wait to see the end result.

steelie where is the next step in that fantastic looking fly :dunno: the suspense is killing me

Good Day,

Sorry Zippy - had some "real life" stuff to do. Hehe. I hope to have it complete by Saturday or Sunday. One delay - the eyes I had were just a pinch too big. New eyes are on the way. Hope the they get delivered Thursday or Friday. The top of the head capsule is nearly done. It is a mixture of silver holographic foil, markers, and "thick" clear vinyl. The foil is "sandwiched" between two layers of vinyl. I used Super 77 to glue it all together. The Super 77 gave a nice effect to the foil that is on the outside. It gives it a skin-like visual texture. I promise I will post updates when I have them... hehe.

post-295-1179338247_thumb.jpg

Steelie

that look fantastic.... but if it was me I would get a real fish stick a hook in it and cover the whole thing in epoxy :P

I think you should use the eyes you have :eek: :bugeyes: :j_k:

super 77 I'll have to look into that

Good Day,

Thanks Zippy!

The eyes I have currently are just a bit too big in diameter. So I have ordered the same style of eyes, just smaller.

Super 77 is great stuff and can be implemented in both fishable and realistic patterns. Alot of folks also use it to laminate foam sheets together for poppers and the like.

Steelie

steelie...your updates are like a season of 24!!! I just hope there isn't a cliffhanger of an ending :D

Later...

Good Day,

Sorry all - been busy with some "real world" stuff... wedding planning and stuff. I really hope to have this done by late next week.

Doh - so I go to look at the WTO website and I see that the Sardina Pilchardus now says "fishable". I send them a message... yep, there was an error on the page I had seen... Doh... Soooooo... I will start a fishable pattern after I finish the realistic. It actually may help me design a better fishable... Oh I have a pretty good idea of what I might do... One thing is that I think I want to include the same type of head capsule to the fishable - silver foil and vinyl. Hmmmmm...

Steelie