Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Turbo Dubbing Twister - Home Made

Great dubbing twister, Jay! I really enjoyed reading the thread of your other posting.

Mark (Soft Hackle) - Your art work and articles are wonderful!

Lonewolf - I'm looking forward to seeing the your flies when you get the new camera. I love taking digital with my camera (Pentax Optio W30). If your new to working with digital photos, I suggest that you download a copy of a free Google program called Picasa 2. This software is very easy to use and has a nice range of tools to edit and work with your photos.

Thanks Ray! I have to second what you say about Picasa2 through google. It is a nice feature for anyone not using Photoshop/CS.

Some of the dubbing brushes I have made are stored on paper card stock like Mark (Soft Hackle) has mentioned. I cut slits in the card stock and they hold my brushes well for future use. It was a great idea that Soft Hackle gave me.

I'm in the process of gathering the parts to make one. Biggest problem was finding the bearing. Finally went to a local roller rink and they found a used one in their parts bin and sold it to me for a dollar. A 5/16 inch dowell rod will make a nice snug fit in it so I plan to try that instead of the x-acto knive collet. The rest of the stuff I can scrounge around my workshop so think I can make one for less than five bucks.

Dave

Looks like it was an interesting article, would have loved to have read it but we don’t get this publication down in South Africa :(

Hi all,

I've been hand twisting my dubbing brushes-Leisenring style- for years, now. I find it quite easy. The idea of storing brushes on cards comes directly from Leisenring, who was doing it back in the early 1940s. It works well. Even better is stiff white plastic sheets that are found at hobby and craft stores. Cut into cards, make the slits on either side, and slip the opposite ends of the brush into the slits so he brush is stretched across the card. Foam core or mat board scraps work well, too.

Mark

PS-Ray, Thanks for your compliments on my work.

oatka - That has got to be the manliest dubbing twister around. It kind of reminds me of something from the show "Home Improvement" where the Tim character was always souping up a devise to have some sort of turbo power. Maybe we could start a new thread called "Pimp My Twister" to see who can come up with the most powerful dubbing twister ( :hyst: just kidding :j_k: ).

VERN-O - I have been using a fine stainless steel wire and also a couple different sizes of Ultra Wire (small seems to work best, but medium also works it the size of the fly can tolerate the added bulk of the heavier wire). If you are tying flies smaller than size 8, I recommend that you stick with the fine stainless steel or small Ultra Wire.

Stockards carries the both types of wire. Here is a link for the stainless steel wire.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/T...Steel-Wire.html

I made mine using a sewing machine motor and an ordinary lighting dimmer switch to control the speed. for wire I use .009 stainless wire. You can also make up some nice brushes to tye a Denny Rickerds Seal bugger by using red wire to make your brushes.

I also own a machine made by Lenny Roots formally from Kamloops BC that I paid $100.00 for.

Nice machine but, I like the one that I built myself better. because it has infinite speed control and can make an 18" brush for 3 big Dragons.

Randy

longears - LOL! Okay, I think yours now gets the prize for the Manliest Dubbing Twister. Yours actually wins in all three Manly categories (size, control and speed). And the fact that you took the motor out of your wifes sewing machine shows what a brave man you are. Kudo to you. :P :j_k:

The Denny Rickards seal bugger was actually going to be the next thing I tried with my twister. Have you tried making dubbing loops including the hackle? I was planning to try it with and without the hackle to see if I liked it. Denny recommends keeping the hackle down to only 4 wraps to give the seal room to move on the retrieve. If the hackle is part of the dubbing loop, it may be too full.

No, I haven't included hackles in any of my ropes yet. The ropes that I really like to make are the polarbaer dubbing and seal dubbing ropes and .060 stainless wire. preshape the underbody and make dragon nymphs with them. these flies are awesome after you give them a very close hair-cut before you add the wingcases,thorax,legs and eyes. And they catch big fish too! that's got to be the best part.

letumgo....what size wire are you using to twist them??is there a specific gauge or where did you buy it?...if you don't mind me asking....looks sweet.....I have a similar homemade one too

I think the article calls for 34 gauge wire. I get mine for about $1 at JoAnns or Hobby Lobby in the bead/craft area. Works great and easier to get then the UniWire.

Brian

Great tip, Millerwb. I will need to "borrow" some of the 34 gage wire from my wife's jewelry making supplies. Your suggestion is cheaper than the UNI-wire I've been using.

Just for some added info.....Kirk made a great looking dubbing twister. I have made myself a promise to build one like Kirk's but I have yet fulfilled my promise. I am sure that there are pics on this forum somewhere.