Fly Tying
Graham

SLR Underwater Housing suggestions

This fall I'll be spending two weeks in NY chasing big brownies and steelies and really want to take some underwater shots. I've looked carefully at most rigid housings for a Nikon D200, which range from about $1,300 to $3,500. I like to buy quality gear but, man, those prices are not cheap, especially when considering my potential interest in upgrading my camera when new SLR technology comes to market. I've seen some sweet photos taken with Optios but I really want to use an SLR and 17-55 lens underwater. I was just looking at the Ewa-Marina SLR pvc bags, which also seem relativley expensive, but cost less than $500. Hell, I could buy an Ewa-Marina and a backup D200 for less than some underwater housings cost. I wont be scuba diving in the salt any time soon, and wonder if the PVC bag is the way to go? I guess at this moment I'm considering getting the Ewa-Marine pvc housing and a D40 to keep inside of it, so that I can quickly take photos above and below water. D200 above and D40 below.

I'm very much open to the thoughts and suggestions of others. I'd like to get the highest quality underwater shots at the lowest cost. I guess if it only takes a minute or three to put my D200 in the bag and seal it that would be the best approach. Does anyone have experience with these housings? And only having one camera on my trip and drowning it would not be good...lol..

Graham

http://www.adorama.com/EWUBXP100.html

Wow, awesome, thank Will. I have several of the full size files he sent to me last year. I forgot about those photos, they really are top quality, and the color and sharpness is excellent. I think I'll order the bag tonight, and play with it before the trip to determine if I need a second camera. I like to release fish as fast as possible and would like to get some above and underwater shots af the same fish, and it would be great if the camera can be slipped into the bag quickly. I also don't want to stick my head underwater...lol.. just the camera..

I rember the solid housing Nick used several years ago, before he got the Canon, and I would have guessed he used a very expensive housing for those amazing brookie photos. This is great news.

I saw a tip in one of the British photo mags about using a small aquarium and a remote shutter release (cable or wireless). You just put the camera on the bottom of the aquarium, pointing out the side, or the bottom, and hold the aquarium partially under the surface. Of course, you can't go all the way under, but it gets your camera below the surface. You just have to be sure the aquarium doesn't leak. Heck of a lot cheaper than a housing, or the bag type. But not any good for diving.