Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Thanks!

Since I first logged onto this site, I have spent a lot of time reading about and looking at some incredible flys that members produce. Most of my few posts (if not all) have been in the Lodge, however, because I am definitely not coming to the table with much to offer beyond enthusiasm. I have only been tying for about 3 years, and I am far from accomplished. My flys, though they catch fish, are nowhere near the ones I see here, and I don't expect they ever will be.

I just want to thank everyone for all the information and ideas that you put out there. Some of the examples shown here are simply works of art, not just flys. I plan to stay here for a long time, but I thought I better explain why I don't share my secrets...I haven't come up with any yet! Someday, though, I will be able to make my contribution with pride to this site, and it will be owed in part to you all (who will still make my flys look like something the cat coughed up tongue.gif ).

Thanks!

AMEN! My flies catch fish, but the ones shown here are works of art. i would be afraid to fish with many of the flies I see on this page, and know I couldn't afford them to buy them. I have started dabbling into some artistic flies, but stick with impressionistic ones for my fishing.

Thanks for all the help and new ideas guys!

Dan

oh, fellas, don't be so glum...it just takes a little practice...i've been told that I do very good work, even "professional " has been thrown around from time to time, but I am good at what I tie. I have never tied a traditional salmon fly...nor have I tied many realistic saltwater flies, however, I like to think that with a little practice and some patience I could accomplish those feats as well....just keep you heads up and remember, ugly catches fish too!!!!! I tie the ugliest woollybuugers you have ever seen, and they're supposed to be ugly because on my streams, ugly works!!!!! biggrin.gif

Thanks Big Daddy. I'm not at all glum about it, though, since the point is to catch fish. I just realized that fly-wise, I am taking more than I'm giving the site at this point, and I wanted to say thanks!

Dan, I really like the realism vs. impressionism comparison! Now I know what to call my efforts. biggrin.gif

BigD hits it on the nose... I have been tying only three years as well and flyfishing for 40... I started like everyone..by coping... and still do... but I started to think about things, about material and studing other techniques.. and started to say.. "Why Copy"??? so I started to think hard about things... Ugly catches and I never use some of my flys, say.. for blue fish...I cring everytime I think about a new crab apple that gets bitten off by a blue fish while I am fishing for stripers. I feel, at least for saltwater.. that All flys work.. depending on the situation. Years ago when fishing for stripers, they were so selective that nothing worked...for that place and time... so a friend takes out a red and pink Tarpon fly for the heck of it... and the bit was on... so you never know. Practice and keep copying... then sit back and think out of the box, experiment with different materials and styles and look to make you own flies.. really your own...thans fun.

Yeah, don't get hard on yourself. Unless you spend alot of time and the bench (almost anally), there will always be someone who ties nicer flies. I tie professionally, and my customers love my flies. But I have friends who build flies that knock me on my butt at times. Just amazing. I'm only 33, but started tying flies when I was about 11. So been doing it for awhile. But I never focused on the really fancy flies growing up. Simply fishable flies. I feel, if you can catch fish with your flies, who cares what they look like? It's hooking the fish is all that matters. Now, if you want to try winning competitions, then you best start spending ALOT of time at the bench.

Oh yeah, on competitions. I hate them. I have been told to enter a couple. I just don't care for it. I tie my flies because I love to do it (only reason I started tying for clientele was because I loved having an excuse to sit at bench to tie). One reason I stopped selling to shops (no offense Jim, this was in general), because I was spending too much time tying the same pattern OVER AND OVER again. That gets tedious. But in end, I have fun tying anytime I'm at the bench. In my spare time, I like to create new patterns (mostly speys nowadays). Not sure if I'll ever get full dressed atlantics down. Have all the materials, including some exotics, to build them. I've done a few. But very time consuming. Figured, once I'm retired, that'll be my time to work on them. I know some guys spend DAYS tying them. Not all at once. But a dabble here, and a dabble there. I know one of the jock scotts I've built took me almost 2 hours at the bench at one sitting to tie. Worse thing, sometimes they turn out, sometimes they don't. It's whent hey don't that you get mad.gif .

So, start small. Build patterns you enjoy. The more you tie them, the better you'll do. Once you get those patterns down, move up to harder patterns. Before you know it, you'll be tying flies that make people go "aaaaaaaahhh".

I too have only been tying (on & off) for about 3 years. If ugly catches fish, I have a bunch of "fish catchers"!

I'm just getting caught up -

Lunk (and Guts) -

To paraphrase other comments made here; Welcome to a hobby, avocation, passion, divertissement or pastime, whichever you wish to name it. Congratulations on your accomplishments to date. Enjoy your time at the bench and don't be super-critical of yourself; with practice and time you'll develop an eye for improvement and detail.

It doesn't matter how your flies look at first, as long as you feel some sense of accomplishment. Many times it is said that the fly looks more appealing to the angler than to the fish - so what?

I won't write a dissertation on myself or my energies devoted to this endeavor, but i learned one thing above all - it's not that tough, and it should be enjoyed. If it gives you a headache, come back to it another time.

Striblue and I are Arch-enemies and would never give one another the right time of day, never mind a kind word. However, I am absolutely stunned at the level of technique, attention to detail and skill he exhibits in his three years of tying. He is amazing in what he is capable of producing. He is dedicated to following the patterns of others to the letter - with uncanny results. His own designs/developments are incredible. Very few people are capable of this level of detail and expertise in such a short time. Don't be dissuaded if you think you're not "doing very well."

I offer you this. Depending on the type, or style, of fishing you do, buy yourself a couple "good" books on patterns and techniques for your fishing likes. That may mean an A. K. Best trout pattern book, a Lefty Kreh tome, whatever, and take them slowly, following them carefully - But, if you access one other book 'alone', if you don't already own it - "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles" - you will reduce your learning curve tremendously. Leeson and Schollmeyer have compiled what should be the handbook of learning to tie flies.

Obviously, join a club if there is one around. Participate in a swap or two.

Use the Internet to research patterns and instructions. Because we're "board friendly" here, I'll direct you to www.flyanglersonline.com for instructions, ability to participate in a "Beginner's" swap, et cetera.

I'm sure we'll 'swap' flies and give instructions through this website (so Will and Chris don't have to come in guns-a-blazin' at me for not promoting the homepage, so to speak rolleyes.gif )

Good Luck.

I would have to agree with Dfix about books being able to help you out in a great way and I would just like to add that many of the "good" videos out there like the A.K. Best series can really help you learn "professional" techniques by being able to watch all of their movements instead of having to figure it out through a diagram in a book!

Dfix,

gun_bandana.gif

Striblue, you worried me there for a second, because I am Dave, too. I ain't steppin' outside with no one. I'll leave that to you arch-rivals...

Lunk I would also like to motivate you to upload some pics of your work and that way some of the more seasoned veterans can point you in the right direction if they could identify some of techniques your currently using. I'm sure alot of these guys would be more willing to give some advise and I don't believe a person here would ever put anyone down for an "ugly fly".

Guest Guest_DFix

I don't have a fancy camera like y'all, but if I did, I could show you some really ugly flies! blink.gif

Likewise, I lack the digital camera, but if I get the chance, I may swallow my pride and give you a show. My flies are like my cooking; made for eatin', not for lookin'.

Just a tip for you guys that don't have a digital camera, I have seen people place their fly on a scanner and the pics come out surprisingly well. Of course it doesn't look as good as what it would with a camera but it would do the trick!