Fly Tying
StandsOnLine

Hello from central Indiana

Hello, linked over from another board & like what I see. I fish for smallmouth mostly, (geography) but have begun to chase steelhead & wipers. I do the trout thing out west for a couple of weeks a year, but find it hard to concentrate amongst the picture postcard settings. love to fish the flats in the Florida Keys - tarpon, bonefish & permit, well maybe not permit, they've stymied me for years, I think their eyes are too big - I'm sticking with that excuse too.

Anyway, looking forward to discovering new flyfishing opportunities in the mid-west & hopefully making some new friends.

welcome aboard. There are a lot of guys from michigan on this board, right in your backyard. I personally live in kalamazoo michigan.

Have fun and do not be afraid to jump in.

john

Welcome aboard. This can be a fun place to hang out when the weather is too bad or the water too high to fish.

By the way, what are "wipers"?

D.W. - wipers are a cross between striped bass & white bass. They were initially developed as a method to control shad populations on large lakes. Because they are hybridized, they have a fast growth rate, don't reproduce & live only 6 - 8 years. I think the state record is just south of 20 LBS.

As a game fish, they hit like a bolt of lightning & are very strong fighters and willing biters. They are available to flyrodders mostly in the spring & fall, as they tend to stay deep in the summer months. One of the few big fish opportunities available to me in central Indiana without driving half a day or more.

........... nurse Ratchet never lets us have any fun.

Sounds to me like those wipers don't leave much to comlain about SOL. Wouldn't mind giving them a try myself..

I can't complain though. I live ten minutes from a stocked trout stream and five minutes from a trout stocked lake and I can be on the Allegheny River in ten minutes. So why don't I fish more??? Go figure!

SOL where are you located? i went to school in indiana (huntington college) for a year and still have some friends down that way somewhere

flyfishenvy - I live just north of Indianapolis in Fishers, Ind along the White river.

Boat is usually docked & ready, so if your'e ever in the neighborhood, feel free to contact me ......... I don't need much of an excuse to go fishing !

StandsOnLine,

Welcome to the funny farm j_k.gif The folks here are ready and willing to help out and plain have a good time. You've found a great site, grab a cup of joe and join right in.

Fatman

BF - 15 , usually I'm stomping 3 or 5wt lines in fresh water - 8 or 12 wt in salt.

Managing line was/is way harder than learning to cast.

Iv'e pretty much mastered stepping on the line at juuuuust the right moment to eliminate any chance of delivering the fly far enough / close enough / soft enough - now I'm working on shooting knotted flyline through the guides - I'll keep practicing till I get it right !

I've asked my wife never to serve spaggetti

SOL,

I live just East of Cincy so we are just a short drive apart.

Do you ever fish the Brookville Tailwater for trout? I'm planning on hitting it pretty hard this spring after they stock it.

SmallieHunter, never tried the tailwaters, but I would welcome the opportunity.

When do they stock the tailwaters? April, May?

Having just recently registered, I've been looking around the site - quite a circus. The Erie report made me think I'd better do some rescheduling - gotta get up there before it's "over" till fall. If you ever want to try my home water, I'm easy to find & you won't have to wade or paddle.

SOL,

planning another attempt to get some fellas down to Brookeville soon....maybe even hit a few of the SouthCentral smallie streams in your area...you game ?

Big Daddy, I would certainly be 'game' for a trip to B-ville, thanks for the invite.

I don't know a lot about the smallmouth streams in S. Indiana, I usually fish the White, Tippecanoe, St joe, et al. in my 'devil boat', but I'd be more than willing to go stomp around in S. Indiana.

BTW - is Hoggswaller, really the name of a town ?