Fly Tying
Hardyhead

Sunset, B&W

Well, I took this photo before I got my digital SLR, so it's an actual photo that's been digitized. The photo was taken about 35 mins before sunset in Madison, WI on Lake Mendota this spring. I had not processed the film, and considering this photo was shot unfiltered, I think it came out pretty darn good. I only wish I would have had some filters on me. Anyway, I am going fishing this weekend, and have some new toys to play with, so hopefully I will be able to post some good shots.

Enjoy!

post-7919-1190645766_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, sometimes I look at this photo and I think it may benefit from some cropping, seems like there is too much sky. I was pleased that the reflections on the water showed so well, but a bit disappointed in the massive amounts of slime that interrupted the smoothness of the reflections.

I wish I would have had my DSLR that day, the resolution on my scanner is a bit low. The real photo is abit nicer, and just a touch brighter than the scanned version.

B&W is a lot of fun, but tough to get the right balance of contrast and brightness, often times my B&Ws are a touch washed out.

Anyway, keep up the great photos guys, it's very inspiring.

That is a great photo. Was the original in color or in black and white? I have played with a couple of photos in photoshop changing them from color to greyscale.

Jim

This original was B&W, but it was taken with an old Topcon SLR I have. Funny story about the Topcon, when I was an undergraduate at the University of Minnesota, they had a blind auction on a bunch of old equipment they wanted to get rid of. They had a Chinon SLR, a Topcon SLR, and a really old Leica Rangefinder. My friend wanted the Leica, so he got it for $135, I bid on the Chinon and the Topcon, I got the Topcon for $75 and the Chinon for $25. The cool thing about the Topcon is that it came with 5 lenses, all nice Super Takumar screw mounts, and all of the lenses and the body are stamped with 'PROPERTY OF US SECRET SERVICE'. I will be holding onto that stuff for a while :)

Well, I took this photo before I got my digital SLR, so it's an actual photo that's been digitized. The photo was taken about 35 mins before sunset in Madison, WI on Lake Mendota this spring. I had not processed the film, and considering this photo was shot unfiltered, I think it came out pretty darn good. I only wish I would have had some filters on me. Anyway, I am going fishing this weekend, and have some new toys to play with, so hopefully I will be able to post some good shots.

Enjoy!

Hey! I think I see Middleton!

Indeed, that is looking in the direction of Middleton from University Bay. I love fishing for the big bucketmouths in the spring at this location, last year our fish averaged 5lbs, hard to argue with that, hook a few of those on a 6 or 7 wt and you are having yourself a dandy day :yahoo: