Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ashevillemike

Question for WiggleMinnow

Todd,

Have you ever coated the wiggleminnow with flex coat or hard as nails? Bob Clouser does it with his poppers and it increases durability but it also adds some weight. I was just wondering since next week I'm heading down to chase some redfish and sea trout.

Also, do you use the same size foam for different sized flies?

Thanks,

Mike

This applies to foam flies in general, but I use different size foam depending on the size of the fly. I do coat all my poppers, sliders, crease flies with a clear, flexible epoxy or varnish, since I make them all out of soft foam. You can find them in craft stores, chain hardwares, like Lowe's or Home Depot and fly shops. I don't like hard as nails and I really haven't used Flex Coat but it would fall into the same category as the stuff I use. If I'm looking for a durable fly, I'll use two to three light coats. You may not need that for red fish, but since the northern cousins of sea trout, the weakfish, have a decent set of choppers, you may want to go that route. I would never use a hard epoxy on soft foam. It will crack on you if you squeeze the fly.

I messed with it a long time ago, I found that it wasn't really worth it. I seem to remember it messing with the action. I use 3/8 in Dia. for size 2, 2/0 I use 5/16 in Dia. for size 6 and cut the length down to 1 5/16" in length. I use a TMC 8089 for trout, bass and a gamakatsu b10s 2/0 for salt and heavier fish like stripers etc. hope this helps.

I messed with it a long time ago, I found that it wasn't really worth it. I seem to remember it messing with the action. I use 3/8 in Dia. for size 2, 2/0 I use 5/16 in Dia. for size 6 and cut the length down to 1 5/16" in length. I use a TMC 8089 for trout, bass and a gamakatsu b10s 2/0 for salt and heavier fish like stripers etc. hope this helps.

Helps a lot. Thanks, can't wait to fish some.

Mike