Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
breambuster

Hair Stackers

I'm looking for a hair stacker, & I see that Bass Pro Shops has them in two sizes. One is "large" and the other is "small." The reason for going with Bass Pro Shop is that they have some other stuff I want as well. I tie mostly bluegill and crappie flies, but I also tie some clousers for bass. I rarely have a chance to go trout fishing. I don't do any salt water fly fishing. Most of my tying is on hook sizes 6 - 12. I will be using buck tail on the clousers, but may also tie some flies that call for squirrel tail for the fly tail. Do I want the small hair stacker or the large?

Thanks.

Breambuster

FWIW get the large. For the reason that you can use it to stack a small bunch of hair, while it is difficult to use a small to stack a lot of hair at one time.

I second the large.

In fact I have one bigger than that, but I tie alot of BIG streamers and mice, for trout. Actually the big blue one in Cabela's in the one I want. One of these days I got to remember to get one!

QUOTE (riverboy @ Apr 14 2004, 12:58 PM)
Actually the big blue one in Cabela's in the one I want. One of these days I got to remember to get one!

That the Griffin One? I've been giving it serious thought as well.

at the risk of opening up a HUGE can of worms on the subject, and opening myself up to the same ol' jokes, I offer this tip with a bit of reluctance....Lipstick tubes make great hair stackers. Clean the tube so that it's free of any product. Scroll the tube to its lowest point. Add you hair, and rap it firmly against your tyinjg bench...to get the hair out...scroll the tube up and you have perfect hair that you can pull out by the ends, instead of the tips of the hair....I have used this method for a couple of years now and my Brassie collection of hair stackers are gathering dust in a drawer!

But, if you want a hair stacker, I agree with John...get the large one...you can do large or small clumps with the same tool.

Or you could make one yourself. Don't laugh, but some of my tools I made myself, 20 years ago, still perform better than the ones I paid for. Get an aluminum cigar tube with a cap, cut the length you want from the capped end. Sand or file the cut end smooth and you're good to go. Don't use plastic as static cling will eventually drive you insane. I swear, being cheap and scottish, I could write a whole article on cheaping out when it comes to this type of thing. Good luck with it.

QUOTE (J Desjardins @ Apr 14 2004, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (riverboy @ Apr 14 2004, 12:58 PM)
Actually the big blue one in Cabela's in the one I want. One of these days I got to remember to get one!

That the Griffin One? I've been giving it serious thought as well.

ya John I think thats it. I dont have my catolog here at work, and I couldnt seem to find it on Cabela's site. I know a couple deer hair masters and they like it alot!

i just bought my first hair stacker a couple of weeks ago. i bought the big blue one by griffin. should hold enough hair for me to blend the colors together that i want.

and if you look at the prices for this one compared to the prices of other brands (both smaller and bigger) this is actually a better price.