Fly Tying
KevCompton

Couple of Czech Nymphs

Kevin,

Those look great. I have really gotten attached to these little dudes; I guess because they will catch more fish than anything else, or at least, that's my thought. I have also appreciated your posts; you have helped me learn more.

Also while I was typing this, I realized I never answered your question about the recipe for the grubs I tied and posted. I can't remember exactly what I used now; I'll try to grab my box tonight or tomorrow, drag the stuff out, and see what I was using when I put them together.

I can tell you one thing I am a believer in, even though it costs more to buy it, and that's the Magic Shrimp Foil from Siman. I have tried surgery gloves; I have many of those, and they are high quality, but they do not make nearly as good looking backs as the foil, nor does it work as well for me. You can also buy the Magic Shrimp Foil and other Czech Nymph products from Steve at Fly Tying Specialties faster and cheaper than ordering from Siman in the Czech Republic.

I like to cover the backs once I'm finished with hard as Nails or Hard Head to give the glistening shine that makes them look a little slimey. I'm pretty sure the dubbing was Antron.

Ray

I love the shape of that hook I have seen a few CZNs tied on it lately. What is it? Also check out the point of the tan one it looks like it needs a bit of sharpening.

day5,

It is a handmade Knapek Barbless Grub Hook from the Czech Republic. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.knapek-hooks.com/

I sell all of their models/sizes, except the jig hooks ([email protected]). These are the hooks of choice for competition anglers around the world.

The point appears that it needs sharpening, but, due to the poor camera angle, it is hard to see that these hooks have 'off-set points', not to be confused with 'off-set shanks', and the 'missing' or 'dull' point actually is tweaked inward away from the camera.

Ray,

Thanks. There are a lot of believers in the Pearl Magic Shrimp Foil. Siman Ltd. offers those pearl strips in 20 colors, though. I've seen some folks use Large UTC Mirage Opal Tinsel or Pearlescent Tinsel as well.

You can see how to tie a Czech Nymph on Jan Siman's site, http://shop.siman.cz/ Look under 'Articles' on the lefthand menu bar of the homepage. It is under the category, 'Fly-Tying'.

KDC

Kevin, I put your Skalkas in the mail today you should see them thursday, sorry I tried the post yesterday, but who knew, it was a holiday.

As for the Magic Shrimp foils, I have used it in regular nymph patterns and stonefly nymph patters for the wing casing. Stuff works like a charm. Good stuff. Cheers.

Kev,

Would you please e-mail me a price list to [email protected]. I had tried to buy some hooks from Siman but they told me they couldn't fill the order at this time. I'm interested in 100 packs.

Thanks!

Ray

Now that one would keep you awake at night, but I'll bet the trout would love him. What's the dubbing material, Kev?

Ray

P.S.

I have a daughter and her family who live in Twinsburg.

Kev, Always beautiful flies man! Your ties are always clean and sexy. Those hooks run about $10 per 25 eh, thats pretty pricey but they are nice looking hooks.

-Phil

Hi Pheasantail,

I've used a dubbing brush on the last, Olive Czech Nymph -- just the abdomen, not the hotspot/thorax. I spin Hareline's Krystal Dub (olive rabbit hare & pearl flashabou) with stainless steel wire. For durability's sake, I prefer the pearl mixed into the dubbing as opposed to wrapping a rib of pearl mylar tinsel.

The thorax on the green Rhyacophila nymph is tied with a black Crystal Antron dubbing brush. I also like to spin a mix of black hare's ear and black seal's fur.

Hi Phil,

Thanks (although I'm not sure what the criteria are for a 'sexy' fly pattern!).

The Knapeks are available from [email protected] for $6/25 hooks.

Kevin