Fly Tying
newfie

Some shot from a few minutes ago

Newfie,

Is this Ice on the ground? I am not sure what I am looking at....however do not take offense to my comments. I think one thing you can do to help the photos is to get them a bit more in focus. Digital cams, especially ones that are not SLRs have a delay on the image processing (I am sure you are well aware of this already), using a tripod will help. At ground level you can always use a minipod and use a timer. Also, one thing to point out is the macro feature on your camera. When taking photos up close, if you are not already using the macro setting on your digi, give it a try. It will help usually with some of the out of focus photos when taking them up close. Taking your first photo into photoshop CS you can see the difference when fixing some of these photo issues:

post-1492-1196374449_thumb.jpg

Here is another example of sharpening and using the correct exposure to bring out the light into your photo (the sharpening might even be done a bit more then I like but it was done more for the effect to show you that the photo can be fixed):

post-1492-1196374462_thumb.jpg

Keep taking photos! That is the key. A lot of the guys that frequent this forum will tell you the same thing....practice, shoot, shoot some more...and learn all aspects of your camera. Thanks for posting your pics. I cant wait to see more stuff from you. Everyone here has helped me so much and is eager to help me out with my own photography!

JayMorr

I'd say what Jay said. And, you sure have a good eye for interesting shapes and patterns. Learning the technical aspects of photography is fun and challenging, but I think for some, they eventually excel at technical stuff, but struggle creating interesting and artistic images. You're off to a good start.

Thanks for the comments. It is ice, its when you get a heavy frost and the moisture in the ground forms these crystals of ice. The focus is something I have to work on, would a faster shutter speed help that? The first pic was just to test what settings I should use. And I agree about the second pic you photoshopped, it seems almost a little too much, but I get what you were explaining. im going to keep taking pictures though. thanks again for the comments, and I wont take offence to any comments, I know that theyll help me in the end

Nice touch! Here is something I came up with. Hope you like it. You have a nack for taking interesting photos! I cant wait to see more!

:D

IPB Image

JayMorr

Newfie, I like that last shot - I suspect the problems you mentioned are a result of camera movement, rather than focus issues. I shot a lot of ice last winter with a light digicam and found that a monopod made a vast difference in the results. You don't have to extend it, just tuck it under your arm or brace it against yourself like you would a surf rod. Those light cameras are very difficult to hold steady without some kind of support, and if you're shooting ice, you'll usually be dealing with low-light conditions that make it even more important. BTW, since you're using a Mac, you should also have Preview, which is another great editing tool.

in my other post theres a few photos using a few books to steady the camera, they turned out a lot sharper. also, i just got a hold of adobe photoshop CS, version 8, so lots more editing now