Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

need a product review pro or con

I still use mine as a travel vise. It is a very good vise that is extremely portable and can get compact. I also have one set up in my shop for students to try out as a beginners Rotary vise but, don't underestimate this vise! Griffin has one of the best Warrantys available on todays market. Usually , If I have to send something back to them it's No Questions Asked! I really think that they're a good bang for the buck and I'm always using mine while on road trips. The thing that you've got to remember is that it's turn the handle one crank, the jaws also flip once. The jaws have great holding power for most of the hooks that I frequently tye with. try one, you'll like it.

my normal tying vise at home? A Nor-vise with the new (08) style midge jaws.

My girlfriend bought me a Griffin Montana Pro vice a while ago and I love using it so much. I find the griffin cam leaver is perfect for holding hooks and requires little to no adjustment between similar hook sizes. I use it to tie salmon flies from as big as 1/0 to trout flies as small as 24. I cannot explain enough how happy I am with the vice. The next vice im going to get? Probably a nor-vice but that wont be for another long time.

Phil

I would not worry about performance with Griffin, they are top notch people who back their products, just do you like the feel of vise.

Joe Fox

I have 3 vises, and Griffin Odyssey Cam, a Danvise, and a Griffin 2A. I agree that the Odyssey is a great travel vise, as it can become very compact. Griffin also uses excellent steel and as mentioned has a great service record (they sent me some new bolts at no charge). If you get the C clamp model it is easy to build a variety of pedestals from wood to accommodate that need too.

However - my favorite vise (about 8 years old now) is a Danvise BECAUSE THE JAWS CLOSE parallel, which they do not for the Griffin. Thus the Griffin has a sweet spot or the hook moves.

Other than that it is perfect and I even like the Meccano look to it, knowing that a machine shop somewhere could always make me a replacement part.

Regardless of what vise you choose, for my tying I really prefer the cam operation for ease of use as opposed to the knurled knob tightening method.

My $.02, Greg