Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
E. Oregon Midge

4-H clubs

I have recently been approached by our local extension service, looking for ways to get kids involved with 4-H that does not require them to have an animal. The county is looking for ways to reach the kids that live in town or are unable to have an animals and be able to enjoy and be rewarded by what 4-H has to offer youth. Because I live in a small town and it is 3 hours to reach a fly shop, I am looking for ideas on getting materials and tools without a lot of expense for the kids. Anything that we acquire stays apart of the 4-H program and would move on to someone else if I was unable to continue.

As we all are aware that some kids do not have much parental support and that is why I feel it is important to keep the cost a minimal as possible. I want to offer something and not go broke myself. 4-H stands for Head, Heart, Hands and Health. They can do money raising events to help with some of the cost.

Please let me know of any suggestions or ideas that clubs have maybe done in your area.

Rocky

I've taught at the 4-H's "super Saturday" for the past 4 years in my small town. I'm really surprised each year as the classes get larger and larger. I feel that is a way to get the kids involved. I'm amazed at how many kids want to learn to fly tye just to get invited to go fishing with Dad or their uncle. It's kind of sad in a way.

The things that they can do for a fund raiser ins to have several Car washes at the local bank. The can solicit donations ($) from your local club. You're ocal club could have a mentoring program if it isn't full of old geezers like mine that have a tendancy to hate kids and think that all of them are bad. I'm sure that a few will help you out in this program if you ask them. Another group to help would be the Boy scouts organization as they have a merit badge now for fly fishing also. That help ya? Hope so...

good luck.

I'm involved with Boy Scouts, and we do a lot of fund raising to earn money for troop equipment, etc. We do car washws, pancake breakfasts at our chartering orginization (a church). One thing that works very well, no matter what the event, is to ask for donations instead of having a set price. We always come out ahead that way. Folks are a lot more generous than you'd think. Check with 4H, cuz I'm sure they have some guidelines as to fund raisers.

As far as equipment, longears has the right idea. Also, try contacting places like Orvis, Cabela's, and so on. Most of the bigger outfits will donate equipment to groups like Scouts or 4H. They have a special department that handles requests, and you have to meet certain criteria, but it's worth a try. We got a dozen rods and reels for Scout Summer camp from Orvis a couple of years ago. Tying materials - put out a request at the local clubs and stores. You'll be amazed at what they come up with.

I'm a firm believer that we have to introduce youth into this sport to keep it alive, and I applaud your efforts. Good luck.