Fly Tying

I was just trying some dying and thought about how wierd it is that I am trying to dye something blue dun and there does not seem to be a standard on what dun exactly looks like. Then I started going through some dubbing I have and found five different shades of olive. I never gave it much thought before but is there a standard olive for tying a blue wing olive? I have two packages of olive dun from different manufacturers and thet are both different. Or does it really matter? If it does not matter does having all these different hackle and material colors reeally matter or can we just get close (other than it's fun). Hope I am making sense but in following a recipe for a blue dun haystack I am tying I find all different shades of blue dun hair and the dying recipe I followed gave me a different shade all together. I think, "I sure hate not to have the right color fly" or should I just say, let's just go fishing.

The Don

well, there is all kinds of dun colors, honey dun, cinnamon dun, light, medium and dark blue dun, plain dun, and prolly some more. From what I can tell dun more than anything means drabbish grey. I have not seen any truly standardized color (can't remember the name of the color chart, but a guy has a color chart that you can use to truly compare and coordinate colors), other than that, a name is only a name. Different manufacturers use different dyes and whatnot (most duns are dyed), ending up with variations between one company to another even batch to batch from the same company.

Usually you can say close enough. Fish are sometimes smart, but usually not smart enough to tell the different between a medium blue done hackle compared to a lighter dark blue dun hackle. Then again, these are just my experiences and opinions, but i think people try too hard to be exact more for the fisherman's sake, than the fish's.

steve

In my novice opinion, I would say that 9 times out of 10 it is a matter of "just go fishing". We have all heard of days where those Trout get it into their tiny little minds that one bug and no other is on the menu today. For those days, they make dubbing packages with five shades of Olive. That is also why they make field tying kits. If the fish are only biting on one bug, that is the one you may need to come up with for that outing.

Or you can switch to Smallmouth Bass or Bluegill fishing. They are never that picky. Maybe we all need to be like Jeff Gordon and the DuPont NASCAR racing team. We should paint the tools of our trade (or should I say "Sport") like a rainbow. biggrin.gif

More later,

Ken S.

Bumper Sticker from my last car: "Wonder Boy for President"

Thanks Ken, I could try bait fishing in salt water. Almost always catch something in the Gulf with anything dead and stinky.

Ted