Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tompa

Thunder lightning spey

:D

Something for late august salmon

Hi Tompa

T&L is a great classic that has proved itself times and times again.

Nice tie eventhough it is not realy "Spey style" i my eyes. Just a standard with a long hackle :rolleyes:

No matter what. It will surely work on most rivers i Europe on a dark and cloudy day in the fall.

Regards

jens

Thanx for the cred girls and boys.

I´ve been busting my ass of for some odd 15-20 years now in mostly Norwegian rivers in my quest for salmon and seatrout.'

Speyflies always have a place in the box especially when times are tricky and at the end of a sink 2/3 line.

Jens not quite sure if I catch your drift about "not really a spey style".

For me this fly is very spey with the wininging, double tinsle/wire and all.

OK the small wire crosses the bodyhackle but that´s just to make it more durable.

What´s a proper spey to you? Tell me or tie one for show so I can learn.

//tompa

Thanx for the cred girls and boys.

I´ve been busting my ass of for some odd 15-20 years now in mostly Norwegian rivers in my quest for salmon and seatrout.'

Speyflies always have a place in the box especially when times are tricky and at the end of a sink 2/3 line.

Jens not quite sure if I catch your drift about "not really a spey style".

For me this fly is very spey with the wininging, double tinsle/wire and all.

OK the small wire crosses the bodyhackle but that´s just to make it more durable.

What´s a proper spey to you? Tell me or tie one for show so I can learn.

//tompa

Hi Tompa

I am truly sorry if I affended you that was not the purpose.

What I was refering to is that your fly is tied in a classic style (much to beautiful for a Spey fly) Normally the Spey flies was drap flies without all "the extra".

On the Spey flies the body starts at a line vertically from the point of the hook, there are no tails, butts and sides. That is why I wrote like i did.

Again sorry if I stepped on your toes.

I have put my humble version of a T&L Spey style to illustrate what I mean.

post-3635-1202673415_thumb.jpg

:unsure:

Regards

Jens

Hello

:D Jens I was not at all affended :D I just needed some clearification on your thought.

Seeing your fly and also the ones tied ïn L.Bergqvist book on salmon flytying it´s obvious that it´s not a spey fly per definition.

I tied some "proper" speys before with the tail feather from rooster but they gave an overdressed fly and that is not my aim with speystyle flies. I take out my speyflies when the salmon is cranky and shows no interest in whatever fly I present. I found out that a discrete speypattern fished quite rapidly on a sink2/3 line could work wonders on such conditions.

I tie ONLY for fishing and never for show and that´s probably why I tend to scale down my speyflies when it comes to dressing.

Since Thunder&Lightning have never been a spey style pattern I choose to keep the tag and butt. The JC sides are only for my eyes since the salmon never sees them anyway.

BTW I think your speyfly looks nice with the right look, perhaps the wingsetting could be lower,but hey that's the freedom of being an artist :yahoo:

Skitt fiske

//Thomas