Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Big E

Hello Fron the Black Hills

Guest Big E

Hello All,

Been lurking for a while and thought I should properly register. I'm a 20+ year career airman (USAF) and have moved to Rapid City, SD after having spent the last 7 years in England. I'm an avid hard water nut (ice fishing) and baitcaster (I know, I can hear the gasps) and am looking to expand into flyfishing. I've got a nice fly rod and reel and a vise with some material but I've yet to put them to any use. I'm getting the itch as spring is just around the corner and have made it a goal to learn to tie and flyfish this year.

While my home waters aren't usually considered the eden of flyfishing, there does seem to be adequate locations to practice the art. I love pulling up bows and moreso, browns, from under the ice and I imagine that they are much more fun on a fly rod. Most hard water nuts around here consider them trash fish and prefer pike and perch and other panfish, but I'll take trout anyday.

I grew up in the upper lower penisula of MI and really miss going steelheading every spring on the Thunder Bay and Ausable Rivers. I still have my 12' egg caster from those days and pull it out every now and then and reminicse.

Anyhow, nice site and awesome magazine (just got my issue the other day). I look forward to getting in on some swaps (hurry up and post some new ones) and maybe meeting a few of you that live around the area.

Welcome to the site. You'll like it here, lots of folks ready and willing to give advice, tips, and ideas on tying and fishing flies. Don't be shy about asking questions.

(What part of the LP? I was raised NW of Lansing and do most of my trout fishing North of Cadillac)

Guest Big E

I lived in and still have family in Alpena. I get back there every now and then (about once every 7 years or so).

Big E,

Welcome, I'm pretty new here as well. You have a bunch of good water close to you! Rapid creek ain't all bad and Deerfield Resevoir has some fish in it. There are many other less well known waters that will give you opportunity to fish trout as well.

I used to live in Mitchell and would occasionally take the drive to the hills to fish. Gorgeous country!