Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AF_Tier

Saltwater Emergency!!

I know this is going to sound a little crazy, but bear with me!

My dad came down to the base last week and surprised me with an announcement that we're headed to Mexico this November. Here's the website:

Casa Las Brisas

I really want to take this opportunity to try saltwater flyfishing for the first time, and I thought I had plenty of time to get ready. Well, I found out a couple days later that I'll be heading to Iraq in May for four months, and it's going to be a little rough getting ready while I'm over there! I'm not sure how well fly-tying would go while wearing a flak vest :dunno:

I'm not asking anyone to plan the trip for me, but if anyone with saltwater experience wants to post their favorite patterns, gear, tips, etc, or just tell me to scrap the idea and relax on the beach, please feel free!

So much for a relaxing tour in the states!

Well for the species they list you are going to want a 10#. When I head down to Mexico I take 8#, 10#, 12#, and a 14#. I have an assortment of Echo 2 and TFO TiCrX. They run about $240.

For reels you can go with sealevel flyfishing and pick up the Tempest reel. It was discontinued, but they are selling it for half price about $175. The TFO Terry Hayden reels are very nice also.

The charters on their website only talk about spin fishing, so the guides probably don't know much about fly fishing.

For flies clousers in Chartruese and White, blue and white, and shrimp patterns. Gotchas and crazy charlies work great also.

The February 2008 Fly Fisherman magazine has an article on the Yucatan Penisula fishing, which might still be in the fly shops or available from the publisher. There have been other articles on Mexico in the various fly fishing publications. B)

Thanks Lucky and Dave. I'll start picking up the gear here soon (if you have a favorite place to shop online, I'd love to know it!).

I'll also start working on Clousers immediately.

As far as the guides, I figured I'd be on my own, but they have boats to rent, so I should be okay.

AF

Not sure if this will help or be applicable to you upcoming tour, but I have been reading allot lately about folks flyfishing and fly tieing while on tour in Iraq and they started the Baghdad Anglers Club. They may be able to provide assistance while there and maybe allow you to wet a line.

http://www.baghdadflyfishing.com/

one of the pics from their web site.

IPB Image