Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Big E

Deer Hide

Guest Big E

I've got a hide from a large doe I shot in Northern Montana about 12 years ago. I had it tanned and can't remember what I was going to do with it but its been in a tupperware container ever since. I was unpacking some moving boxes the other day and seen it and thought maybe I should cut it up for flytying.

Don't know what I'll do with all the hair...guess I'll tie up some caddis and give some away to swapmeisters. I'm sure I'll still have a lot left.

Does anyone have a chart on how I should cut up a deer hide?

Im not sure Big E,

I remember seeing something about this, so if you give me a bit I can dig it out.

I think you will have to really sort over the hide and divide it up specifically. As in short straight hair, and thick spinning hair. I know the back is usually stiffer, and better for wings. The belly will be best for spinning.

Give me a bit and ill see what i can find,

Phil

The strip up the spine usually has the best markings - the kind needed for deer hair dry flies (deer used as wing). Other areas have different uses - the hair is longer, or softer, or flairs better for deer hair bass bugs.

Regardless of what you use it for the spinal strip typically has the best coloration, and you may want to segregate that for your use.

Guest Big E

Thanks LFF that is exactly what I was looking for.

Anyone here experienced enough with deer hair to tell me if its any good or not if I sent you a patch?

There was a Chris Helm article on spinning deer hair in Fly Tyer magazine a while back that showed the various areas on the deer's hide that were used for different applications. I don't know exactly when this article appeared. Maybe some other readers of this post can put a better handle on it.

There was a Chris Helm article on spinning deer hair in Fly Tyer magazine a while back that showed the various areas on the deer's hide that were used for different applications. I don't know exactly when this article appeared. Maybe some other readers of this post can put a better handle on it.

Also, the Chris Helm article in Hatches has close up shots of deer hair and discusses the various uses.