Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

The use of foam

As I visit the many fly tying sites, I notice that foam is being used a lot. There are some very creative tyers out there. How effective is foam for fly tying, is it mainly for bass flies or are there good applications for trout , also? In the 'good ol days', this would have been unheard of

Have a good one, this site is outta sight.

sky35

Pat, as you know we didn't have the nice foams back in the good ole days that we have now!

I like playing with foam, it's easy to work with & it's applications are only limited by our imaginations!

I use it primarily for terrestrial patterns, and bass flies, but after seeing some of the various patterns that have become popular, like the Chernobyl Ant, & Triple Decker, I see no reason to try to limit it to just those types of patterns. I for one have never liked tying dry flies, and to me they're a pain to use because they require effort to keep them floating, but perhaps tied with foam, I might be less reluctant to use them. Although I don't do a lot of trout fishing anyway.

Just my 2 cents!

I love the Foam, I started tying club sandwiches( a hopper) and now I use it to tie dragonfly's which I have been using for bass. The Chernobyl Ant is another great pattern for me. In some of the fly swaps I have reiceved hex dries with foam bodies and even entire foam bleeding mice. If you like to experiment there are lots of uses! have a ball.

I've been trying it for tying extended mayfly tails, so far so good, the instructions are in The Flytiers Benchside Reference.

Tight Lines,

Fatman

I started using sheet foam for terrestrials years ago, and now have started using flip flops for bass flys. If you want to see some trout flies, check out a company called loco foam. Theyre out of roanoke VA and they have some awesome terrestrials. Personally, i don't believe you have to imitate every single species of beetle in the area, but if you want to, they can help

Dan