Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
newfie

Haven't been around in a while...

Nothing much is new. Im looking for a dslr camera, found a Canon 300D with 18-55 lens for $200, but i was a day too late, then found a 10D body for $300, again missed it by a day. So the search continues. Heres a link to my flickr page. Add me as a contact if youre on there too, thanks. My flickr

it was on a car forum i frequent. lots of photographers on there, both sellers were 100% legit. i wish i had of acted faster

Just an fyi.

Bodies don't hold their value at all, in many cases nor do lenses, it depends on the lens maker and the "quality" of the lens. For example a Canon EF-S lens, won't resell for as much as a Canon L lens, relative to to the retail price, although it will sell for more than a tamron/sigma consumer/prosumer grade lens, again relative to the initial retail price.

Back to bodies.

Manufactorers tend to release new versions in each line about every 18 to 24 months. One to keep sales going, and two due to advancements in technology.

Both the 300D and 10D are by *todays* standards old and very long in the tooth, despite being very capable bodies.<<<relative term..meaning relative to want a buyer wants/expects.

Consider.

The 300D was replaced by the 350D (XT), which was replaced by the XTI and now the XSI. All of that in the space of about 4 yrs.

The 10D was replaced by the 20D, was replaced by the 30D, was replaced by the 40D, which should be replaced next winter.

The XSI retails for a little less than a grand

The 40D retails for about 1,200 to 1,300

Both *relatively* speaking are miles ahead of their predessors.

I personally would not pay more than 100.00 to 150.00 for either the 300D or 10D.

Not when you consider you can get a 30D for about 500.00 and a used 40D for less than a G note.

Glass last, bodies don't.

Well that to is "relative" Newfie.

If your a first tme buyer who simply wants a capable body to dip your toes into the DSLR world than 150 or 200 may be a good deal. It gets you a capable body at "relatively" cheap prices.

It wasnt long ago that the 10D and 300D were cutting edge and everyone raved about them.

That said, you could spend more and get "newer" technology. I've seen 30Ds offered used for 600ish and I personally owuld not pay more than 900 or 950 for a used 40D.

So if you simply want a DSLR thats going to take nice pics so long as they are in working order its a basement price. The reality is there won't be many buyers for technology that old and if the seller just want to get rid of a paper weight they might jump at an offer of 100 to 150. Id be surpirsed if they've had many nibbles.

Are you better saving some more and spending 600 on a newer body but not bleeding edge?

Not for me to say.