Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
haystack

"Bust a move"

greetings one and all, couple of new members from Oz loggin in. Came across the sight and thought there seemed to be plenty of experienced flyfishing people around who might be able to suggest a few options to us. We decided to head to Thailand and research some saltwater flyfishing options - yeah I know, us aussies have always been abit experimental tee hee. Carted the 8,10,12 wgt around O.K. on the trip there and around the southern island only to have the cargo handlers snap the pvc rod tube in the middle, between Bangkok and Melbourne on the flight home. Was a fantastic trip and fish were taken on a fly for the first time ever that simply just don't look at that kind of food item (Telapia) and got seriously beaten up by big striped catfish (hate to come up off the bottom) and Tarpon (hit like a steamtrain) and Pacu (use their strength vertically and horizontally - like having two different types of fish on at once). We've never seen our 8 wgt bent like a paper clip before and had to resist using wire trace to protect the fish mouths, so plenty of heavy leader material required. Definately will go back for more and would really appreciate any suggestions for a good tough metal rod tube for travelling to accommodate saltwater rods as well as salmon rods. Heading to Snow country at Jindabyne in New South Wales for some brown trout before the season ends in just over a month's time. The fish just need to recognize our sincere desire to catch them and we will be amongst it. Jindi fish are lovely flame coloured and great texture to eat cause they eat lots of yabbies - we don't keep that many, just a few for the table and the rare trophy fish - happy fishing to all and maybe someone has a suggestion for travel rod tubes.

welcome aboard! sounds like you had a great time fishing over there, but a rough time on the way home. BTW, just wondering, is your cargo covered by any type of insurance over there if something like this happens?

Well anyways, I use a kalispel Rod Travel case. Built of aluminum and its pretty much the toughest case I have seen. http://www.exploreproducts.com/kalispelfishingrodcase.htm

That being said, are you allowed any carry-on luggage? If so a 4 peice rod might be able to go with ya.

Another option would be to get something like this:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice....d=6033&shop_id=

and put your rods in these cases then into that pack:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice....id=6501&outfit=

The aluminum tubes are pretty resistant to all but something that is going to break darn near anything else. The bad part about them is you have to put your reels in cases of their own. But you could put them in along with your clothes to really keep them safe.

Hope this at least gives you an idea.

Steve

You may want to explore the Idea of using 4 piece rods on travel where the chance of something like this could happen.

I know that most fly fisherman prefer 2 piece rods for there fishing, but when it comes to traveling 4 piece is the way to go.

There’s less of a chance of a 30 inch rod tube being bent or crushed than one of

60 inches.

OSD.

Shadownix:

Apparently it depends on the airline. I've got a four piece 8 wgt that I carry with me when I head out to the Pacific rim. I figure a 20 hour plane ride is enough of a hassle. I just put it in my luggage. It's survived a half dozen trips to Guam. I'll see if it survives my trip to Japan and Okinawa in a couple of weeks.

Haystack:

What type of PVC rod tube was it. Did you buy it or make it yourself? I prefer a 4 piece if I flying, but I've made a couple PVC rod tubes to carry rods on non-flying trips. I just went to the plumbing department at the local warehouse store and picked up some PVC pipe. The first one I made was with fairly heavy duty pipe, 1/4 to 3/8" thick, and 4" in diameter. That was one tough but heavy carry tube. The newest one I made is with a light weight pipe, easier for me to handle but I don't think it would take the beating the other one did

thanks for the response guys, since we posted the topic, we've been looking at a number of alternative travel options. The tube we had was a manufacter's tube and we are looking at testing a couple of options - an aluminium telelscopic tube and a thicker PVC job. Certainly, if we can get them on as 'carryon' and have them stowed somewhere by a helpful cabin person that would be ideal, the other alternative is the 'rod case' we have seen on the net, made out of aircraft grade aluminium, and rectangular in shape, but it looks like you can't get much in them even if they are fairly tough. It would be good to know just how many rods they will accommodate. The little 4 peice 'poacher' setup is certainly easier travel wise but sometimes you just have to take a big two peice with you cause you can't resist biggrin.gif Anyway, it's all a good excuse to do some more travelling and exploring more fishing.

Welcome to the site,

Lots of knowledge and levels of experience here and all are willing to help. Jump right in and have fun. WARNING: Watch out for the photoshop wars LOL they make for some really good fun.

Again Welcome,

Fatman