Fly Tying
Old Hat

Woven Hair Nymph

I've been doing a little weaving lately and working on some George Grant style woven hair hackled flies. Time consuming but it has been fun.

This is my first completed one. I think I got got the legs just a little too long. It is tied according to Grant's method but the color combination is mine. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions to please feel free.

post-13329-1211944749_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1211944779_thumb.jpg

I'll agree that the hackle is a tad long, but I don't think the fish will mind. Other than the hackle, the fly is magnificently tied. I'm glad someone is still using Mr. Grant's techniques!

John

Thank you for the comments. I have been wanting to tie these for many years and just never got around to it. I met a gentleman who gave me a "George Grant starter kit" for hair hackled flies. I can't thank him enough. he traveled to Montana and took a class on tying these flies and passed a lot of materials to me. Like I said it has been fun learning the technique and I am looking forward to experimenting more soon.

Great job, Old Hat! I really like this style fly, but have not tried to tye them. They look quite challenging and I think you've done a wonderful job on this one.

Well, I don't know the weaving process you used, but that is a beautiful body. The coloring is spectacular, and the overall appearance, the beauty, and smooth, glowing texture of the body is supurb. I'm really glad you posted this one; if you do others, please post them, too! How long did it take you?

Ray

Thanks everyone.

Harold, they are not that difficult but are time consuming. I would estimate that I have about 2 hours into this one. I'm sure I can cut that down as I work on the techniques. I weaved a few hackles one night and tied the following night. There are a few little nuances but basically the body is built up thread (Kevlar in this fly) with a feather (I used 2 on this pattern) cemented to the top of the body and covered with clear D-ribbing material. One of the hardest parts is actually finding stiff hair long enough to do the weaving technique. This style of fly was mainly tied as a stonefly pattern. It is large, on a #4, 4x long hook.

Guest Big E

Very nice Old Hat. You certainly have more patience than I. One question though...when comparing woven hackles to a dubbing brush, which is better and why?

Big E - When putting hair into a dubbing loop and twisting, especially the stiff thick hair required in these patterns, it hard to distribute the hair evenly and keep it straight and the hair strands will spiral around the loop. Weaving makes it easier to keep the hair tips even, aligns all the hair strands so they are all pointing in one direction, is more durable and an attribute that Grant felt was important better promotes the hair into a position which is back and splayed out enough to give it a spring effect underwater. I have seen people tie these patterns with hair in a loop and they appear fine and don't think the fish would mind too much, but then they wouldn't be Woven Hair Hackle flies would they? I enjoy the nostalgia of tying older patterns.