Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WYKnot

Nikon Remote Shutter Releases

I would appreciate comments on the Nikon 10-pin remote cables. I need a remote shutter release for a D200, but want to retain timer delay functions set on the camera when I release the shutter. My confusion:

1. The MC-30 remote cord appears to be a simple shutter release that overrides any timer/delay set on the camera.

2. The MC-36 appears to have full over-ride on the camera (delay, timer, exposure control); 95% more function than I need and $80-90 more than the simpler MC-30.

Any advice or experience with these accessories would be appreciated. Maybe I am being a bit of a cheapskate on this one; wouldn’t think twice about buying quality dry fly saddle hackle, but counting coins on a remote shutter release.

Thanks.

Hi Russ,

I see we are in the same boat. I also bought a D200 (along with several other cameras). The problem I see with the D200 is the mirror up function can't work with the self timer - at least I haven't found a way to do it. Before you spend the $ on a remote release that will allow you to use the mirror then use the remote release to trip the shutter you might try the d5 function. You access it through the Custom Setting Menu. What it allows is the mirror to flip up then 1/2 second later the shutter is released. I use it with the self timer to do a kind of "work around" for the lack of using the timed release with the mirror up. Have you tried this? So far my results have been pretty good when shooting fly pics. Let us know if you have any luck with it OR if you have already tried this.

Also, I am interested in the remote release as well so anyone with the information Russ and I would both appreciate it. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hi

I use the MC-36 on my D200. Mirror Up hit the button once , wait --- hit the button again shutter fires.

I can't see a pre set delay on the shutter fire being of value . Pretty much all the time I mirror up and wait for either wind or subject movement to cease before doing the shutter release. Kinda the point of mirror up shooting beyond waiting for the vibration to stop. I do use the timer settings on the MC 36 over the cam version simply because it is easier/faster via the MC 36 . I also use the MC36 when using my 300 mm f2.8 and PN11 extension tube setup for closeup work- it is easier to manual focus and fire via the remote than via the cam shutter button. Not sure what the MC 30 does I don't have one.:)

Will

Thanks, Al, no I have not tried the D5 function, still learning the basics on the D200; sounds like something I need to play with.

Will and Al, this is going to sound silly to pros, but I find taking pictures to illustrate a tying sequence challenging. The problem is holding things still (tools, bobbins, materials, fingers, hands) while composing and shooting an image. Age and arthritis makes holding steady a challenge some days; macro and its limited dof are very unforgiving.

I compensate with the timer delay on the shuttle release; using super clamps, flexible extension arms, hemostats, thread tension, and hackle pliers to pose the photograph and the timer allows me to get my hands into (or out of) the photograph. I only just recently graduated from a D50 to the D200, got used to the wireless remote on the D50: get everything into position, push the button, drop the remote, and have three seconds to brace.

I have pestered Al a lot about fly photography over the past year, have learned a tremendous amount from his suggestions and this forum (thanks to both of you).

Hi

Ok not sure what I was thinking , but now I get what your aiming for. Had a three hour drive each way today to a bug collection site- here is what occured to me- bear in mind "some" coffee and a couple of cigars went into this:)

I'll mock this up and take a pic- but basic idea - use a MC36 and rig it as a foot controlled remote.-Free hands etc etc

Just needs a soft closed cell foam button the same diamater as the MC36 button, glued to the underside of a peice of plastic held in the appropriate place , so that when you gently tread on the plastic the shutter activates the mirror up, get hands etc etc etc in position- gently tread on the plastic plate again and presto - LOOK MA! NO HANDS SHUTTER RELEASE.

Will

Interesting concept Will, I think I'll pick up a MC-35 when I go to town later this month, the foot pedal idea has merit.

Hi Will/Russ,

Will thank you for the MC36 info. My next stop is ebay or B&H to see about getting on. I really like the idea of a foot release. That will make "hands-in-the-pic" shots much easier.

Rus, I do a lot of shots with my hands in the picture. I have two additional vises in pedestal bases that I can position around/near the vise holding the fly. That way I can hold them motionless during the exposure. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I built a tabletop tubular light support cage, 2’ x 2’ footprint, 3’ high, to hold lights, reflectors, diffusers, and back drop. A couple of Bogen/Manfrotto super clamps are positioned around the frame, each with a flex arm. The set-up is handy for positioning tying props for photos and the HD arm does double duty holding reflectors and small fill lights.

I think adding some supports to the side of the frame for resting my arms or hands would be idea worth exploring, similar to the extra vises. Thanks for suggesting the extra support.

Al, I have long admired your thumbs. :D

I built a tabletop tubular light support cage, 2’ x 2’ footprint, 3’ high, to hold lights, reflectors, diffusers, and back drop. A couple of Bogen/Manfrotto super clamps are positioned around the frame, each with a flex arm. The set-up is handy for positioning tying props for photos and the HD arm does double duty holding reflectors and small fill lights.

I think adding some supports to the side of the frame for resting my arms or hands would be idea worth exploring, similar to the extra vises. Thanks for suggesting the extra support.

Al, I have long admired your thumbs. :D

Interesting comment about the thumbs <G>. Let me know how you like the MC36. I started out to get one the other day and got side tracked. I look forward to your comments. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Let me know how you like the MC36. I started out to get one the other day and got side tracked.

I ordered it from BH Photo. My travel schedule changed this week and I won't be able to visit an actual brick-and-mortar store for another week or two. Just couldn't wait to try the remote out with the new camera.