Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GHow

Memorial Day / Lake Congamond

Memorial Day morning, after viewing the Pujic carp adventure I was inspired to visit the association beach and stalk some "Bullgills." I arrived about 10:00 AM I encountered my neighbor Mike and his son Eric. They were bobber fishing and the gills were giving them plenty of action. A lone bassman was scoping beds next to our swim area buoy but not having any success. I sat on the beach talking hockey with Mike and tied on a new 4 lb tippet. Once the bassman went his way I waded out and began the search pattern with a olive #8 - marabou clouser - nymph. The action was not exactly as I anticipated. After a few mediums and countless "nippings" I finally clipped back the marabou tail and the fly was just short of an inch and a half. After a few more medium's I was ready follow Mike home until this beast deceided that any sized morsel was acceptable to eat. At first I thought I had a big gill, then a big bullhead until the first jump. It tried to make a run for deeper water, gave more more leap but being so fat it was in no condition to fight very long. I was very lucky that small hook stayed secure. The fly is in the upper lip above the jaw joint.

IPB Image

Knowing I wasn't going to top this catch I headed home with Mike. He was amazed I managed to land the beast!

I then went for gas and as I pumping I noticed two A-10's Warthogs from Westfield circling in the area. Just as I finished pumping the two birds lined up on the highway and screamed over the cemetary just up the road. I'm not big on these type of visits but I deceided to stop and take in the ceremony and then say hello to Rick. The speakers were honoring the town of Southwick's living WWII veterans with plaques and the crowd applauded. After the proceedings ended and I got a chance to find Rick. He was one of my first fishing buddies. I had my first carp encounter with him at the old Tariffville dam. He never had the chance to see web sites like this and I just wanted him to get a post for for helping me land this fish. Thanks Dad and Gramps for taking me fishing......

Wow man nice fish. It's hard to believe that beast would hit a size 8 clouser, goes to show that a Bass doesn't pass up an easy meal no matter how small it might be.

Get a measurement or anything on that fish?

What a hog...and you thought that was a bluegill pulling on your line at first? How big are the bluegills there bugeyes.gif