Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Two Earl Stanek articles in northarkansasflyfisher.org

Stanek's Skimmer Dragonfly

Dragonflies and Damselflies are aquatic insects that date back for well over 300 million years. There are over 400 different species of Dragonflies and Damselflies in North America. This ancient order (Odonata) of insects has spawned many terrifying old world superstitions and was given frightening names.

Stanek's Skimmer Dragonfly

The Sow Bug or Watercress Bug

Ask any fly fisherman on the stream if he has a Sow Bug fly in his box. The majority of them will open their fly box and show you a fuzzy oversized Scud fly.

Stanek's Sow Bug or Watercress Bug

I have been with Earl when he was talking about it, but I haven't seen him do it. I don't get nearly as much time as I would like with earl because I live 500 miles from him. Wish I was closer.

Ray

I talked to Earl today, 2:50 pm, and we've got our act together. If Will and the Hatches Board okays it, which I think they will, we will be getting one of Earl's articles in the 2009 edition. He's already got articles written; he told me that last year, and he's got a great new plate done for this year's Southern Conclave. He's also sending me a picture soon. I've bought several of Earl's domes in the past; he said this plate's gonna knock my eyes out, and then he laughed. I think Earl is pretty proud of this one!

Mike T, I told Earl we both would be talking with him as this develops. He said he saw you last night I believe. Looks like we're in good shape if the Hatches group okays it, which I totally anticipate.

Ray

Mark,

This is going to work out well I think. With you there and Mark Tipton, we should be able to get whatever Earl needs for this project done. He told me again yesterday, "Ray, you know I'm not a computer man. I'm an old time engineer." I told him I knew and not to worry about it. We'd get everything done. He is hoping the article works out and is really excited.

I would love to get multiple articles from Earl over the next few years accepted for Hatches editions. Earl is around 80, and he's not going to be here forever. He has tremendous knowledge, that one day will be gone. I want to get as much in print and collected as possible for people today and the future generations of flytyers. You're not going to have an Earl Stanek come along every day!

I hope to be at the next International in Colorado. I mentioned to you about my moving to a new home and selling my present home. I haven't done this in years. It has turned into a major project.

Your kick boat sounds great. I have several friends here who use and love them.

Thanks for the description of the road and towns, Mark. I have been in Mountain Home, Cotter, Yellville, etc., but I hadn't realized they lay in a big circular path. I want to take some time soon to drive and fish my way through that whole area.

Take care, Mark!

Ray