Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
skeeterdreamer

Need large Amount of deer hair

Hi,

I'm in the market for a large amount of deer hair rather than the small patches that you see sold in stores. I just cant wait till the season and then have to tan it also...lol And I would also like to know how one goes about dying it...what to use,how long to let it set and so forth. Thanks for any help.

David Deaton

David i cant help ya with the deer hair but as far as dying it do a search under dying deer hair on the top of the main page and you should see where this has been discussed before and find the info you are looking for.

SD

I have a large patch of deer hair that I would be willing to part with. I think it is about 12 by 24 inches. You can dye deer hair with rit dye, kool aid, or ladies hair dye.

john

pm me if interested.

I too, have lots of deer hair, maby two half hides or so (only the back half of the hides as the taxidermist uses the front half). Let me know if you need some. I also have lots of elk as well.

Find a local taxidermist. Most will have pieces that they can't/won't do anything with. If they don't wanna just give them up free, make a trade of some sort. I recently got a ton of hair in trade for a bunch of streamers and Buggers with a taxidermist who also guides for Smallmouth.