Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j74snook

10x hooks

I like to tie on 10x hooks. where can i get them for a good price? I live in panhandle of Florida. thanks

Just a heads up if you're using them to fish.... with a 10xl shank it'll be harder to hook fish... a shorter shank will give you better leverage to sink a hook into a fish's mouth. A longer shank will also give a fish more leverage to throw or bend a hook if you do stick one.

In freshwater i mostly use 3xl, like a mustad 9672 or a 4xl like a Mustad 79580. In saltwater, I use a regular shank Mustad 34007 or 3407, and short shank hooks like an Eagle Claw 254 for streamers. Most often, fish like stripers will aim for the head of baitfish, so hook ups tend to be good. If you fish for things that nip at the tail, a stinger hook trailing the main hook might be better way to go.

For large baitfish, I just extend the material back behind the bend... material is also less likely to foul (get wrapped around the shank) with a shorter hook. Also, again if you are going to be fishing them, they may corrode in salt water if you were going to swim them around there.

If you're tying classic streamers for display, then 10xl would look great for those old timey new england patterns...

peregrines

I usually have the Partridge in stock.