Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WYKnot

Shell Creek

This is one of my favorite spots to fish the Big Horn Mountains, jumping from rock to rock, fishing pools and runs between the boulders. Cold, clear, fast, and full of 6-10 inch rainbows.

IPB Image

Thanks. Yes, little streams are fun, a welcomed change of pace from bigger (and often crowded) waters. I particularly like these little places later in the fall, when autumn colors hit their peak and the snow lines starts to creep down the mountains.

Small streams really are in an angling world of their own. With a cool, wet year (by Wyoming standards); these little places fished well all summer. Colorado and Utah as well…?

You are right Jim, a 2 wt turns a 10 inch trout into a tiger and the occasional 14 incher is a trophy in these creeks.

Utah as well…?

Yes, there are several small streams in Utah, some of which are very near Salt Lake.

Brian

WYKnot

Nice picture. I have fished this creek on and off over the last 10 years while we have been there deer and elk hunting. We used camp by the creek for the first six years we hunted and fished there but we have been hunting near Fool's creek the last three years. Like you said it is a nice little creek to fish. We have also fished it near the town of Shell right down on the western side of the Big Horns. Nice fishing there also if you can dodge the big rocks and the faster current. We just usually fish the pools. Sad to say, we did not get there to fish this year as we were more involved in the elk hunting.

Bpob

Hey Bob, We chatted about the Big Horns last year, didn't we? A wonderful place. Your are right, the wading can be tricky. Hope the hunt went well for you.

WYKnot

We did talk about the Big Horns last year. Good memory. We drew out of state elk permits this year and being that is is a long time between draws we concentrated on hunting them with our recurves and wood arrows much more than the trout fishing. We had a hard time locating them in our area this year although I did have a chance of arrowing a calf on the first night of our hunt but passed at ten yards. Had one other bull interested and he came within 15 yards or so but was in too much cover to get off a shot but we had a great time altogether. Did not get in as much trout fishing as we had in other years but still had a good time of it. Caught a lot of cutts in the Tounge. Here is a pic of one of them. Getting back to Michigan I am waking up in the morning still looking for mountains.

Bob

post-685-1222441919_thumb.jpg