Fly Tying
troutnabout

Project Healing Waters Challenge Swap

Hi there. I thought I would post a picture and explain a difficulty or two that I had with the tying procedure.

First, this was my tool of choice:

IMGP1529.jpg

I chose it because the jaws are wide and not serrated like most hemostats. I use these on the water more than at my desk, but I liked the size and feel of them.

I held the bobbin with them like this:

IMGP1531.jpg

IMGP1530.jpg

This worked very well, though you can see a single tube or ceramic bobbin may not work as well.

One of the problems I had was gripping hackle and marabou. The lack of serrations made it difficult, but the serrated jaws left too much damage behind for me to use them. I do not have what you would call a delicate touch.

I think something like this with a thin rubber liner on at least one side of the jaws would serve a person much better.

Winding hackle was difficult, because you miss the "feel" of the feather when making sure tension is good and I fumbled a few times when trying to tie it off.

This was of course just a taste of what a person with a permanent orthodic must deal with but I like the experience it gave me.

I wonder if there are folks out there that tie with mechanical grips etc. who would share their experiences and adaptations?

Great swap Steve, thanks for maintaining the integrity of the Challenge swaps, the reins are in good hands.....Kerry

A simple tool. Get a pair of hemostats. If you don't have any surgical tubing to slip over the end (I didn't), take a wide rubber band (you can get a lifetime supply in the parking lot of most post offices.) and cut it apart so you have a long rubber strip. Wrap it over the end one of the jaws and tie it down with thread. Do the same on the other jaw. You now have a non-slip holder. You can apply it to the material/tool with one hand. Then use your "artificial prosthesis" to pick it up (another pair of hemostats works nicely).

I actually had a handicap. I had rotator cuff surgery on my dominant hand just before I started tying. I couldn't lift my right arm up to the vise. So I had my son-in-law make me some adapters to lower the vise to the level of my hand sticking out of the sling:

post-2055-1228624089_thumb.jpg

OK guys, flies are packaged and ready to go out in the AM mail. Watch for a treat, I included a momento just to say "Thanks" for all the hard work. I know this was truely a challenge. Here are the pics from the PHW swap. In order : Dr.Vette, Mr. Challenge swap himself: AKA Inconnu,Chrisfish,HoosierFlytyer,Peddler,Spanky, Joe king, Troutnabout. Enjoy

post-5452-1228713974_thumb.jpg

post-5452-1228713992_thumb.jpg

post-5452-1228714006_thumb.jpg

post-5452-1228714020_thumb.jpg

post-5452-1228714039_thumb.jpg

post-5452-1228714055_thumb.jpg

post-5452-1228714068_thumb.jpg

post-5452-1228714079_thumb.jpg

Hi there. I thought I would post a picture and explain a difficulty or two that I had with the tying procedure.

First, this was my tool of choice:

IMGP1529.jpg

I chose it because the jaws are wide and not serrated like most hemostats. I use these on the water more than at my desk, but I liked the size and feel of them.

I held the bobbin with them like this:

IMGP1531.jpg

IMGP1530.jpg

This worked very well, though you can see a single tube or ceramic bobbin may not work as well.

One of the problems I had was gripping hackle and marabou. The lack of serrations made it difficult, but the serrated jaws left too much damage behind for me to use them. I do not have what you would call a delicate touch.

I think something like this with a thin rubber liner on at least one side of the jaws would serve a person much better.

Winding hackle was difficult, because you miss the "feel" of the feather when making sure tension is good and I fumbled a few times when trying to tie it off.

This was of course just a taste of what a person with a permanent orthodic must deal with but I like the experience it gave me.

I wonder if there are folks out there that tie with mechanical grips etc. who would share their experiences and adaptations?

Great swap Steve, thanks for maintaining the integrity of the Challenge swaps, the reins are in good hands.....Kerry

Kerry. Thanks for the extra flies and hooks. Nice work on the tevhniques and choice of tools. Most of all,thanks for the kind words. It's an honor to carry on your tradition. Steve

A simple tool. Get a pair of hemostats. If you don't have any surgical tubing to slip over the end (I didn't), take a wide rubber band (you can get a lifetime supply in the parking lot of most post offices.) and cut it apart so you have a long rubber strip. Wrap it over the end one of the jaws and tie it down with thread. Do the same on the other jaw. You now have a non-slip holder. You can apply it to the material/tool with one hand. Then use your "artificial prosthesis" to pick it up (another pair of hemostats works nicely).

I actually had a handicap. I had rotator cuff surgery on my dominant hand just before I started tying. I couldn't lift my right arm up to the vise. So I had my son-in-law make me some adapters to lower the vise to the level of my hand sticking out of the sling:

post-2055-1228624089_thumb.jpg

Nice job Spanky. I'll keep you posted on our upcomming activities. Would love to have you come along. There is a vet in your area who expressed an interest in fly fishing. If you'd like to hook up to take him fishing, I'll get him in touch with you. Take care, Steve

I'll get them in the mail this week TNB. As for seeing any handywork,,? I found this challenge to be just that, CHALLENGING! I ended up using the pattern i first tied when learning to tie (wolly bugger). It was hard just to find a way to start the thread much less finish the head! But i finally learned the one hand whip finish :) I want to thank you for picking up the torch for Kerry and keeping the challenge swaps going. This is by far the coolest swap i've had the pleasure of being part of this year.

Thanks All.

chris

Chris you are totally welcome. It's been great fun. I figured out a one handwhip finnish too. Not as difficult as I first thought once I realized I could pich tje thread against the hook and let the weight of the bobbin pull the thread down to finish the not.. Thanks for participating. Steve

Troutnabout,

Mine finally arrived today...Great looking patch. Thank-you very much for putting this together. I was expecting my Secret Santa Swap today but this was a great surprise.

Thank-you and have a great Christmas.

Troutnabout,

Mine finally arrived today...Great looking patch. Thank-you very much for putting this together. I was expecting my Secret Santa Swap today but this was a great surprise.

Thank-you and have a great Christmas.

You're welcome..... Merry Christmas to you and yours. Steve

Sorry for the delay! Mine arrived on Tuesday.....actually I think Monday but the postman left the wrong key for the mailbox they were in.

Great tying effort by everyone and the patch was a nice suprise.

I wanted to mention on this thread, that Project Healing Waters has given the go-ahead to our Canadian Branch. This means alot to Ray and myself, there have been many ours of writing and phoning over the last 2+ years to get to this point. I will be talking to Ed Nicholson after New Years to start the organizational proceedings etc. I plan a Spring event with Canadian Veterans.

Thanks Steve for your help, support and even though I do not show it, for your friendship, it has been a support to me even though I have not said as much......Kerry

Sorry for the delay! Mine arrived on Tuesday.....actually I think Monday but the postman left the wrong key for the mailbox they were in.

Great tying effort by everyone and the patch was a nice suprise.

I wanted to mention on this thread, that Project Healing Waters has given the go-ahead to our Canadian Branch. This means alot to Ray and myself, there have been many ours of writing and phoning over the last 2+ years to get to this point. I will be talking to Ed Nicholson after New Years to start the organizational proceedings etc. I plan a Spring event with Canadian Veterans.

Thanks Steve for your help, support and even though I do not show it, for your friendship, it has been a support to me even though I have not said as much......Kerry

Kerry: congratulations,you've finally made it happen after alot of hard work and persistence. As for your friendship, no worries,friendships should not have conditions,only relationship. Youre challenge swap and getting to know you two years ago got me through a very difficult time when my father died. You will always be my firend. thank you, Steve