Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisher-person

How Can I Catch These Monster Trout?!!

Okay. Just a few weeks ago I was on my way home when I saw it. Monster Trout jumping out of the water to feed. They were jumping maybe 5 inches out of the water and probaby were Brown Trout. The next day I decided to go fishing there, and it wasn't what I thought it would be . I was fishing for hours and caught NOTHING!!! Even though I saw these beauties jumping every 20 seconds or so. The area was a large oool pond with alot of submerged trees and a little bit of weeds. A small stream helped make this pool and the water was flowing fairly slow. I was using a size 2 mepps aglia spinner with a silver colored-blade and worms on a hook as baits. I'm not sure if I was using the right type of bait, so that's why I posted this. What types of lures would be a good idea for catching one of the trout in this pond , and is there a certain presentation that I should be aware of?

Do you know what they were feeding on? If they were working on a hatch they probably won't take anything but the appropriate fly. If you have a fly rig that would be the easiest way but a spinner rig with a clear plastic bubble and a fly behind it. Good luck!

deffinitly taking dries and you'll need either a fly rod and appropriate flies to match the hatch or spiining rod with the bubble floats and the right flies

Well. You really need to key in on what kind of bugs they are eating. Find yourseld a little streamside guide to entomology to help ID the bugs and from there you can select the right fly. It's usually worth the effort!

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to matching the hatch. But the advice given above makes sense to me.

Otherwise, I like throwing BIG streamers as the big boys won't refuse what looks like a nice meal.

I was in a situation last week where a mediocre hatch was going on, yet I got into fish chucking basic streamers tied on #2 up to 3/0 hooks.

After the final score was tallied, the larger flies produced more fish.

-Chris

If these fish were leaving the water (missile-like), they were probably feeding on caddis emergers. Give this a shot: cast upstream of the fish/location. Let the fly sink then start to swing and rise towards the surface in front of the fish. You'll know it when they hit. (Note: fishing streamers in this situation is not a bad tactic either.)

John