Fly Tying
Hacklehoney

Dubbing

I'm trying to dub for the first time and I am having a hard time. It is rabbit fur and is very fine, am I starting with the wrong fur.

Darlene

First thing to do is use about half of what you think you will need, and then use half of that. Also wetting your fingers helps alot as well. Always twist in one direction only. If you are still having trouble, try a dubbing loop. It has a different effect when completed, but can be easier to accomplish. If you need more advice, let me know.

Hi Darlene,

I too am a beginner and was having a hard time dubbing too. In one of my classes we were taught to put the dubbing wax on the thread and a little on our thumb and pointer finger. Make sure that you always twist in the same direction. Hopefully this helps you... it really helped me. Tying sure is fun, isn't it? Have you caught on your own tied flies yet? Good luck. :)

Hi Darlene,

I too am a beginner and was having a hard time dubbing too. In one of my classes we were taught to put the dubbing wax on the thread and a little on our thumb and pointer finger. Make sure that you always twist in the same direction. Hopefully this helps you... it really helped me. Tying sure is fun, isn't it? Have you caught on your own tied flies yet? Good luck. :)

I try not to use dubbing wax, and if I do, it is a very sticky variety and I definitely avoid putting it directly on my fingers, since I twist my dubbing on with my left hand thumb and forefinger, every other feather you try to pick up or hold will stick to you and get wax on it. The two best things I think, Service Tech said, use a tiny amount; you can always add more if your body is too short and wet your fingers. I keep a little sponge in a dish that is wet on my desk and I can touch it to wet my fingers. Good way to pick up dropped tiny hooks too.

Cheers Futzer.

When I first started tying , the best suggestion I received that always stays with me is to only apply enough dubbing to change the color of the tying thread....which you will notice is very little .

use less dubbing and twist in one direction. too much wax and you will have a waxy mess on the thread... lick one of your fingers a little, don't be a afraid to pinch it tightly, once you wrap it the dubbing will get locked on.

Flygirl -- I was trying to figure out how to say it when your words said it all....

...apply enough dubbing to change the color of the tying thread....which you will notice is very little .

This works a lot better for guys than girls but...it's not as gross as it seems.

The trick to dubbing small amounts with short hair or man made materials is oil from your nose.

Take your right hand forefinger and thumb and run them down your nose while you are holding the dubbing against the thread with your left hand. Now grasp the dubbing between your right hand thumb and forefinger and spin it between these digits. Work it (spread and pull) gently up and down the thread. If it's not staying close to the thread, wipe your nose again.

The very first fly I was taught (almost 30 years ago) was an Adams and the instructor showed us this trick. I can always dub successfully this way and can't use a dubbing loop to save my life.

when twisting the dubbing on the thread remember that the thread is pointing directly at you, twisting counter clockwise and wrapping it on the hook it will self tighten, meaning it stays tight on the thread, if you twist on clockwise the dubbing has the tendency to loosen on the thread as you wrap it on the hook. I try to twist on my dubbing with my middle finger and thumb, for me its a more natural way and the twist is tighter.I would recommend trying to dub with some superfine first and as i was taught what you really are looking for is "dirty" thread. which means a little dubbing goes along way! I cut a small corner out of my dubbing bags and really have to work to get enough out! good luck, watch the vids and practice practice practice!