Fly Tying
supaflygsr

Help with mallard wings

After enjoying two wonderful turkey dinners I decided to spend the evening trying to learn how to make wings out of mallard like the beautiful example by fellow member MICE

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...c=32199&hl=

First of all the fibers are "unmarrying?" themselves as i prune them 90 degrees from the stem

if I make it past the first problem I run into the problem of the fibers wanting to rotate every which way when I tie them in

I notice on some websites they offer "quality mallard flanks" is this what i need versus the mallard flanks I have which have an extemely curved stem?

thanks again!

-josh

You'll need to cut seperate "slips" from the "Sweet Spot" of two different feathers......one that curves to the right and one that curves to the left. My laptop battery is bout to crap out on me........we left one power source cable at the other house and my wife is using the one we DO have with us........later, and good luck. mark..... ;)

I had found a tutorial online on doing these wings and it said the same thing (about grabbing slips from either side of the feather depending on which wing you were doing) but unfortunately it did not go into much more detail.

my mallard flank is wanting to roll over on top of itself (think cylinder) at the tie in point <_<

probably part of the reason i've never been a big fan of ducks :ph34r:

thanks again fella's :lol:

Thank you that is a perfect tutorial on how to set up the wings!!

:headbang:

now i'll sit and wait patiently until my bronze mallard arrives :yahoo:

"all good things..............................wait" supa..............."if you snooze.........you looze." ................DE DIFF! ......................now don't be impatiant :hyst:

while you "waitin'" for the BM.......keep messin' with the Mallard flank.......do some wet flies in size 6 and 8.......and if it calls for Wooduck, just use the Mallard....... ;) .....less you got Wooduck..... :D case in POINT! it really doesn't make a Diff..... :lol: ssssshhhhhhh.......fish can't tell :whistle:

ssssshhhhhhh...........again............with any luck, (post office at Christmas time :dunno: ), you'll have your hooks for Christmas............

You can still use the mallard flank. You just have to be very selective which feathers. What you want are the flank feathers with a strong fiber to one side and are married all the way out to the tip. They look a lot like bronze mallard except are the flank color. If you can't find these feathers in your collection use the bronze mallard.

supafly.....go over to the "other" site http://www.classicflytying.com and go the Streamers&Wets page and look for a post called "a few recent wets" by Mike Schmidt, (Redwings1).........there's a fly there with a Mallard wing..........(one in a set, in the pic).....THAT, is what i'm saying you should parctice. Try learning how to do those type flies.......it will help you with allllll your other tying tremendously. Give it a shot. And good luck. mark..... ;)