Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gaddy

Thinning Head Cement

Hi all does anybody know what to use to thin out head cement mine is now thick like honey? :wallbash:

Head cement is formulated in a lot of different ways, and DIFFERENT tinning agents need to be used. Since most head cements don't give very clear information on just what they are made from, it pretty hard to know what your head cement could be thinned with. Loon products makes some water based cement that can be thinned with water. Dave’s Fleximent and similar cements are thinned with acetone. If you use the wrong thinner in any head cement it can be ruined.

If you have acetone, toluene, lacquer thinner, denatured alcohol, and paint thinner handy, you can try putting a few drops of your thick head cement some old pieces of cardboard, (use shiny cardboard,) and then add drop or two of thinner. The right thinner will make the head cement smooth and more watery. The wrong thinner will cloud up your cement, turn it lumpy, or turn it into a clump of goo.

If you find a thinner that works, remember which one (label your bottle) it was. Also remember that it may or MAY NOT work on other products.

Head cement is formulated in a lot of different ways, and DIFFERENT tinning agents need to be used. Since most head cements don't give very clear information on just what they are made from, it pretty hard to know what your head cement could be thinned with. Loon products makes some water based cement that can be thinned with water. Dave’s Fleximent and similar cements are thinned with acetone. If you use the wrong thinner in any head cement it can be ruined.

If you have acetone, toluene, lacquer thinner, denatured alcohol, and paint thinner handy, you can try putting a few drops of your thick head cement some old pieces of cardboard, (use shiny cardboard,) and then add drop or two of thinner. The right thinner will make the head cement smooth and more watery. The wrong thinner will cloud up your cement, turn it lumpy, or turn it into a clump of goo.

If you find a thinner that works, remember which one (label your bottle) it was. Also remember that it may or MAY NOT work on other products.

Exactly what Utyer said, the original bottle may have a ingredient clue on the label and do this in a well ventilated room

Cheers, Futzer.

typically there is a brand specific thinner, which is probably acetone or water depending on the head cement formula.. regardless, it requires less thinking and is in a hand sized bottle. when I just bought my new bottle of fly-rite cement, I also bought the fly-rite thinner to have for the future... also I like my cement thin normally so that it penetrates well and doesn't clog the hook eye as often.