Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Frogfish

Working with RAW

What do you guys use? I have Photoshop CS3. Should I also purchase Lightroom and Nikon Capture NX?

Hi Frogfish

I use CS3 the most but have all three. My wife loves Lightroom. Some on here I know use NX then move them into CS3 for some final tweeking. I'm new enough thats all I can help with. I'm just trying to really concentrate on learn just one fairly well before overloading my brain :)

Unless you're a working pro with thousands of images to manage, there's probably no need to go beyond what you already have. I'm an Apple user, so I just store my RAW files in iPhoto (with backups on two external hard drives) and do all my editing in Photoshop. In my field, I'm dealing with a relatively small number of images that I actually use, so my system works great for me. I agree with Tybugs about keeping it as simple as you can.

I'm on a Nikon and use Raw exclusivly - for my own taste Capture NX outstrips all the other Raw convertors that can do Nikon .nef files. I finish them off in Picture Window Pro Image Editor which is fully 16 bit throughout so the output is very high quality. While PS is a tremendous prog it's very much overkill for many folks IMHO. I would tend to try doing conversions in the prog you have for a bit and get a handle on what you don't like about the workflow/output and then try some of the others so you have a better base for comparison.

hope that helps

Will