Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ortho004

Had to get through this Minnesota winter somehow...

Hello All!

I am new to fly-fishing (Moved to West Yellowstone, MT for the summer and started there... Would have been hard not to...) and newer to fly-tying. Picked up a cheap kit and am accumulating materials (I know that you get what you paid for but I am on a college budget...) and learning as I go. Since the weather hasn't been too great for going outside lately, let alone finding much open water here in Minnesota, fly-tying has become something that I am really beginning to enjoy.

My only questions at this point are if anyone out there is from the Twin Cities? Any fly-shops better than others? I go to the University of Minnesota at the moment, so anything in the Twin Cities would be accessible. Does anyone get together and tie flies? Thanks for your help! Great site!

Andrew

Check out the local TU, they may have some tying events at their chapter meetings. Always a great bunch of guys and plenty to learn about tying and local waters.

Oh and if anyone around Minneapolis has an decent old vice they might be interested in selling for a low price, let me know!

Oh and if anyone around Minneapolis has an decent old vice they might be interested in selling for a low price, let me know!

HI Ortho004

I'm a former Minnesotan just moved to Billings,MT. Do some local research on the "Greatwater Expo" in Mpls it should be coming up soon on the calendar. It is a great Fly Tying Expo and Fly fishing event held on the south side of town in Bloomington. A good place to pick up materials.

Also there is a club called the St Paul Fly Tiers Assoc. to look into also. and I believe the meet close to the U of M.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks for the help. I stumbled upon that expo last week on the internet and already marked it on my calendar. Maybe going to go check out a fly shop or two this weekend, don't know where yet. I also might have to look into those St. Paul meetings, I don't actually know anyone here that ties their own flies, let alone who actually fly fishes. Thanks again!

Andrew