Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steeladdict

Nymphing for Smallies

Does anyone out there nymph for smallmouth? I have read Harry Murray's book and I am going to try it out this weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions on flies, drifting techniques, strike indicators..... etc. Thanks.

I will occasionally "nymph" for smallies. When I do, its usually a large stonefly nymph with rubber legs or damsel fly nymph.

Depending on how deep the water is will determine if I use an indicator or not, less than 5 feet no indicator.

I nymph for them the same way I do trout or steelhead, controlling drag and mending line.

I do "nymph" for Smallmouth mostly using Hellgrammite and Crayfish patterns. I don't short line nymph like I would for Steelhead(mostly just your leader in the water) and will throw a decent distance and just try to control the drag as much as I can by mending. I don't think the Smallies mind as much if it has a little drag. Like Kevin I don't usually use a strike indicator because most of my nymphing is done in knee to waste deep riffles.

I only use this technique in riffles where the Smallies are use to waiting for food to come floating by that might have gotten dislodged from a rock upstream. In slower pools of water I always strip a streamer where they are use to see prey "fleeing" and they will go and chase it down.

I've tried it, but it's too boring for me. I like to rip a streamer like the smalliehunter said. The hellgie, stonefly, or whatever has to look very realistic, because the fly will just sit there. My home tied stuff doesn't look all that great.

I usually catch a lot of bass, an awful lot, so I don't like the slow drift stuff.

This past week I've been smacking the smallies pretty good with top water. Loud popping poppers. They almost broke my St Criox!! So slow upstream drifting wouldn't be something I'd do.

good longrodding,

WB

Not all of us can fish the Susq. We have to work for our fish wink.gif j_k.gif

The Susq is the best smallmouth river ! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

I have great luck drifting princes, hares ears, pheasant tail nymphs and such. Smallies are hungry fish and will pick these up pretty quick. The smaller ones 12-16 seem to be the favorites.

Art

I nymph quite often for smallmouth. I've had great luck with a Clouser swimming nymph tied with different colors. I also frequently use a small (like a size 12 nymph hook) estaz bug with a rabbit fur tail and bead chain eyes tied for hook point to ride up. I use indicators because I catch more fish with them. I rarely catch smallmouth while nymphing if I simply dead drift a nymph--I almost always give the line occasional twitches, which happens anyway when I mend...