Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Vilageidiot

My First Adams

Good improvement. It is a cleaner tie. I see your dubbing is long fibers, which is fine, I usually use more cut up dub for an Adams. However you can work with either. With the longer stuff, pull about 5 strands into your finger and thumb and work them up along the thread spinning the same direction up so it winds like tiny rope. Tie it in as the body, you can always add more. The body proportion should be evenly angled like a carrot, see Bruce's example. I personally make the wing 2 times the distance of the hook gape, and hackle 1 and a half times. I definately see good progress, and it will most undoubtedly catch fish. So go tie 100 more and post the last one. (not kidding, you will be amazed how good that one will be)

Cheers, Jeff. aka Futzer.

It looks great and you can really see the difference between this one and the first. I would suggest the tail should be longer and use less material, similarly on the body. Aside from using longer fibered dubbing, use less then you think. Keep tying and most importantly, be sure to fish them. The fish are less critical then you are.

Very nice. I'm not an expert, but the wing looks a little high, I could be wrong though. I have trouble tying this pattern, so take any thing I point out with a grain of salt.