Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tmatt26

First mouse fly

This is my first attempt at a mouse fly. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It seems i have a little trouble getting the deer hair compact enough to make a uniform body.

Thanks.

post-19670-1233444159_thumb.jpg

Thats cool

What did you use for the ears?

I sliced a strip of deer hide off the bottom of my deer hair squares and folded it.

Good job on the mouse. I found that tieing in a longer tail will help the fly track alittle better, The tail you have won,t really see the water or impart any movement. Did you stack the hair at all? If you want a tighter looking and denser appearing body, you might try to stack it. You mouse will fish just fine , just get that tail longer <_<

post-4571-1233445302_thumb.jpg

Looking closely at the picture, I also see some underfur from the deer hide in various places. Make sure you get that combed or picked well out before you tie it on the hook. It will help it spin much easier and more evenly.

Deeky

Looking closely at the picture, I also see some underfur from the deer hide in various places. Make sure you get that combed or picked well out before you tie it on the hook. It will help it spin much easier and more evenly.

Deeky

Is there any special comb i need for this or just a fine tooth comb at wal-mart?