Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mozes

Problems with Renzetti and fly tying table

I have a renzetti traveler vise with C clamp. I attach it to my tying bench on one of the side arms. I find that in order for me to use bobbin cradle I need to move my vise way up in order to have bobbin cradle line up with the jaws. When I do this two things happen:

1. Vise is to high for me

2. I have no room left on the bottom to attach my waste basket.

Are there any suggestions on how I can improve this setup? dunno.gif

Thanks in advance

Mozes

Isn't the bobbin cradle adjustable for height? If you can adjust the height of the cradle without adjusting the overall height of the vise, that should solve your problems.

The bobbin cradle can be adjusted by sliding it up and down the vise shaft. If I line it up with the jaws I have to set my vise way to high to tie comfortably. I think I should probably cut down the bench arm an inch or so in order to bring the whole assembly down dunno.gif .

Mozes, may I suggest you clamp your vise on the edge of your fly tying bench, closest to you, overhanging the edge of the table. I have seen many tying benchs with the raised block to clamp vises to, and unless you tie on your lap, it will be too high, IMHO.

Babs

Try putting a phonebook on your chair and sitting on it!

That should raise you a few inches making everything at the right level.

If not just cutoff a few inches of the bobbin craddle

dare i say bend the bobbin cradle arm. if I remember correctly, it should be shaped like a laying down L. you can't readily "cut it down" because you would have to cut the part with the head on it, and some can't be readily reattached. you can always bend the arm of it, and since it would be farther out, you can adjust the distance for it closer.

steve

The vise extension I think would only make the vise higher off the table or offset the whole unit, but if you get a cradle with adjustable height it will bring your cradle down in line with your jaws at a height that’s comfortable for you.

But it would be a good thing to see if it would work on your vise before buying it.

OSD.

Okay, here goes- every so often it seems I come up with what sounds like a really smart-assed asshol* answer, - this will be one of those times, but I assure you it isn't.

You're mounting to a side shoulder on a built bench with a c-clamp. The shoulder is elevated, the stem has to be secured in the clamp with a thumbscrew, but the butt end bottoms out against the table surface- your height problem.

A. What about drilling through the table top to let the stem drop[ through, or

B. Shortening the stem yourself, with a hacksaw or having your local machine shop shorten it for you - if those are options you wish to consider.

Either way, you can mount the bobbin cradle so it rides on the surface of the table or slightly higher with a small wooden bushing.

Dave you must be a batcher there’s no way you can get away with drilling a hole in the dinning room table or even the one in the breakfast nook.

That kind of thing will get the old lady a bit heated mad.gif

I think I would go the machine shop rout with the vise. blink.gif

OSD.

That's not what I implied- he said he had a tying table with raised wings- those build-ups port/starboard on the portable tying surfaces or even a elevated wing on a dedicated tying desk or table- that's what I spoke to, obviously. If I even thought about clamping to the DR or Kit. table, nevermind drilling, I'd be living with the squirrels!

OH, BTW- I SAW A BLACK SQUIRREL HERE IN MY OWN AREA!!! FIRST ONE EVER! ohmy.gif