Fly Tying
jared sartini

Terra vise

I saw the brand on www.ffotw.com but they had a rotary one for $40 on www.mudhole.com. has anyone ever used this? it looks pretty good, but a rotary vise for $40? i don't know what to expect. has anyone ever used these or heard anything about these? - TT Rotary Vise by Terra Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

I saw the brand on www.ffotw.com but they had a rotary one for $40 on www.mudhole.com. has anyone ever used this? it looks pretty good, but a rotary vise for $40? i don't know what to expect. has anyone ever used these or heard anything about these? - TT Rotary Vise by Terra Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

I bought my wife the Terra Silverado vise. I liked it . Held hooks well. My wife never used it though. Seems to be a decent vise.

Jared I currently have and use this vice regularly. The majority of the parts are polished brass but it holds a hook pretty well. I've had mine since August and really can't complain as my wife got it for me as a B-day present. A whole lot better than the vise that came with my original kit. I honestly thought she paid a lot more for it when I 1st saw it and used it. No complaints.

Andrew :headbang:

strange coincidence- I was considering a Terra "Silverado" as a second vise for traveling and for my son to use. I saw one on fleabay and bid on it but the seller blocked me because I don't have a "history" on sleazebay. Whatever. I might use my gift-card from Cabela's to get one. Not sure yet. Their other tools seem decent. They're not jewelry quality, but from what I've seen, they get the job done. In my experience, the major trouble with inexpensive vises is "springing" the jaws- in other words, tightening the jaws so much to hold a hook that they actually bend outwards towards the tips. If that can be avoided, it should work well.

strange coincidence- I was considering a Terra "Silverado" as a second vise for traveling and for my son to use. I saw one on fleabay and bid on it but the seller blocked me because I don't have a "history" on sleazebay. Whatever. I might use my gift-card from Cabela's to get one. Not sure yet. Their other tools seem decent. They're not jewelry quality, but from what I've seen, they get the job done. In my experience, the major trouble with inexpensive vises is "springing" the jaws- in other words, tightening the jaws so much to hold a hook that they actually bend outwards towards the tips. If that can be avoided, it should work well.

I guess you just weren't "Sleazy" enough.To bid. :hyst:

Hi Jared, I have seen your tying and it is very good. Terra is manufactured by Sunrise inc., an Indian company. Nothing infered by that other than it is not in the U.S. http://www.sunriseindia.com/vise.html#8100

They seem to take an approach of making every style you can think of with similar designs to every other manufacturer that you can think of. I have owned a few sunrise tools though never a vice. I personally felt that they did not last as long as other brands I have bought. I tend to use "you get what you pay for" in my purchasing choices. Now that said, I could not find a large Internet photo of the vice you are looking at, but from the small photo, I question the hook holding capabilities and the small diameter of the rod which joins the rotary bearing to v shaped jaw mounting assembly, it looks too small to me. Next the nut to adjust the hook alignment to keep the shaft of the hook in an isocenter dimension as you spin the fly, looks like it is one hex head screw. Make sure this is sturdy as well as the jaws. There is nothing worse that hook or alignment slippage to make tying no longer fun.

Now the best advice I can give you is to find some shop that carries this vice and go tie on it, most good shops especially smaller local ones will let you demo the vices at the shop. At least get it in your hands before you decide. It should feel solid and mechanically sound.

Your vice is the heart of your craft, and you are a good tyer, so get the best quality you can afford. I believe from looking at your flies that you will be doing this a long time.

Cheers, Futzer.

Thanks for the quick replys guys! i'll take your advice to heart. maybe i'll save my money and look at some other vises. i've looked at some of the forums about the griffin odyssey spider, but not much has been said. any opinions on it? it's about $85 and it's got a few plastic parts but much more money than that and i might be pushing the budget.

I have an RGSAGA which is about the same (price/quality/firm in India) which works fine. Also saw a few of these on sleazebay. The factory itself wants orders of over 500US$ so i suppose someone has bought a bunch (for about US$ 9 a piece) and now making a nice profit.

Karel