Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HOLYSTEEL

Dredging for Tarpon?

Looking for some insight to night fishing the IC and inlet for tarpon. My understanding is that as they migrate the do utilize the IC which is for the most part a deep channel for boat traffic. Any info on flies,methods ect...I know its not sight casting but I do know they are there in the depths and would like my 12 weight to hook into one of these. I would assume sinking lines and darks flys at night? Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks HOLYSTEEL

Looking for some insight to night fishing the IC and inlet for tarpon. My understanding is that as they migrate the do utilize the IC which is for the most part a deep channel for boat traffic. Any info on flies,methods ect...I know its not sight casting but I do know they are there in the depths and would like my 12 weight to hook into one of these. I would assume sinking lines and darks flys at night? Any suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks HOLYSTEEL

Let me first say that I have never night fished for tarpon on the IC. So im not an expert but hopefully I can provide some insight....

The bridges hold fish, as the lights from the overpass attract bait schools. I have seen tarpon under the 41 bridge in Fort Myers rolling etc...

If I were you, and i wanted to dredge for poons at night, I would use a sinking line, may be can get away with an intermediate, and cast beyond the shadows of the bridge lights. Experiment with different retrieve rates until you find something that works.

Dark flies, black and purple, olive and black etc....

Cockroaches, seaducers, etc.... SHOULD work in dark colors.

Tie good knots, have a sturdy flouro leader set up with a loop know to the fly.

Thats what I would do... take it for what its worth but id rather sight cast to em! :blink:

Good Luck!

Capt. Matt

Guess it would depend on which coast you'd be fishing on as tides on the left aren't quite as strong & timely as those on the east. Read about that type fishing during the shrimp runs from Haulover to inlets north. Snook run the ICW & there are tarpon over here, but most dredge Boca Grande Pass during season with bait tackle for the big poons usually during daylight hours unless really big hill tides at night.