Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mouse6196

Woven bodies...how to learn fast

Here's how I forced myself to learn. I have along way to go until I'll be happy with the results but this is my story.

I hosted a swap and as an extra Stewynofly sent me a couple extras a few being flies with woven bodies. Well I fell in love with them and had to learn this technique as I was in search of new challenge. I consulted Stewynofly, and searched the web endlessly learning this technique. Then along comes the 'Woven swap." Stewynofly PM's me and advises me of the swap and tells me I should join. Well I did, and then really started to panic as I have yet to even try a woven body.

Well tonight I sat down and practised a few times on large wire with yarn then said, 'What the heck...get one in the vise." Well here's my first attempt. I figure I'll be tying a couple dozen more before they are good enough to submit to teh swap, but it's a start. Thanks Stewynofly for getting me hooked on this fun technique.

wovenparachute.jpg

That fly has a nice sweater! Looks like you got the concept down and practice makes perfect. I like. j74snook

Well done Mouse. I admire your determination, especially starting with an extended body weave. Be careful, fly weaving is additive.

Edit: If you want to add more variation to your weave, check out the article in Hatches online magazine. Hope it helps.

Hatches weave article

Ok fly attempt number 6....I went with finer thread...I'm probably making hard on myself using size 16 hooks too but oh well.

I still ove learning this but my fingers are killing me.

Wovenpara2.jpg

Ok fly attempt number 6....I went with finer thread...I'm probably making hard on myself using size 16 hooks too but oh well.

I still ove learning this but my fingers are killing me.

Wovenpara2.jpg

Yep you got it now!

post-4571-1235090185_thumb.jpg