Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

mixing deer hair colors.

i dont remember where it was but i saw a picture of a dhalberg diver and the bottom of the fly was two diferent colors. not like stacking but more of a blend of yellow and red. does anyone know how to do this technique.

try putting the first color butt side dotackwn stack it dont remove put second color tips down and stacpink. a guy name chris helm has a good dvd on everthing spinning deer hair

i dont remember where it was but i saw a picture of a dhalberg diver and the bottom of the fly was two diferent colors. not like stacking but more of a blend of yellow and red. does anyone know how to do this technique.

You do it by loose stacking, and spinning.

Tight stack

SDC10545.JPG

loose stack

SDC10525.JPG

spin

SDC10616.JPG

I just mix them together before tying in.

Easy way to mix them is put the hair out on a plastic ruler, the kind that have the trough down the middle. Find them at the store for maybe a couple of bucks. Spread some hair of one color thinly across the ruler, spread some of another color and loosley stack them several times. It mixes everytime you keep stacking and blending. This way you can mix a lot of hair at the same time for several applications to the hook.

Take a look in my patterns at the floating dragon nymph. The abdomen is mixed olive/natural, while the thorax is solid olive (same olive as in the abdomen).

Cut a clump of each color, making sure the underfur is all out, and cut the tips off as well to make it more manageable. It will mix better. Dump them all in the stacker and mix with a bodkin. I did found that the more hair I put in at once, the less it mixed. It just kind of spun around in a big clump, so it may be a little slower process because of the smaller clumps. You may try using a 35mm film canister to mix larger quantities at a time.

Hope that helps.

Deeky

Take the two colors and tease them into "ribbons" and lay them on top of each other then bunh it all up and put it in a hair stacker.

Look below, and the lines represent two different colors of deer hair, and each line is one hair, put the rows on top of each other then stack it in a hair stacker.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I went and looked at all the patterns on the warm water site listed above and every pattern how two shows loose stacked deer hair on the hook.

That is a pretty cool site with some neat patterns on it. I'm going to tie up a few tonight.

if you want to make a fly that last longer look for the foam dahlberg diver on flytyer magizine website they have an article about