Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JoshVandermeer

Steely Minnow

This is my first minnow type fly that I've tied, so I could use some good constructive criticism on how to make this pattern better, as it looks kinda crappy right now.

Hi Josh!!

I'd swing that for steel anytime. The only thing I can foresee, and you'll know more when you use it, is that the long materials will most likely "foul" around the hook shank. You'll have to check it fairly frequently or your great tie may not swim right.

To tie a long, sweet, fly like the one have there, and not have it foul every few casts, try tying the same fly on a cotter pin. They can be found in almost every hardware store and are cheap. I like the 3/16" size at an 1 1/2" long.

To attach the hook use 30lb or heavier braided line, lash it onto the cotter pin so there is a loop hanging off the back, and zap a gap or super glue it to the cotter pin. The loop on the end should be big enough to swap hooks like a loop to loop connection.

Great tying!!

Frank