Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
monkey93

spring gills

:headbang: hi i was wondering what everyone would suggest for catching bluegills, crappie, bass in the spring, we are hopefully going fishing in castle rock lake were we have caught all 3 in the same spot, but it was later in the year, i figured might as well go fishing up there since i got a track meet in colestrip as long as it dont get cancelled, because of weather

Thanks and tight lines

Jake

Last year I didn't get into any warm water until May, but then it was yellow or white small streamers that caught all three.

This year I started a little earlier - last week I landed a few bluegill on a large yellow stonefly crawled along the bottom very slowly. They were lethargic and wouldn't hit anything that moved more than a few twitches and slides across the bottom.

Of course, there is still ice on the lake I was fishing, so it was far from warm.

i use lots of wooly buggers and lots of sili skin minnow imatations

but its ga and its always warm , 80 degrees yesterday :D

Where are the fish? are they on the banks of the lake or are they suspended in deep water? I was thinking that a saltwater fly which I think is called a suspender fly might be a good way to catch suspended crappy or gills in deeper water. this fly sinks real slow and then can be stripped back as a streamer.

Where are the fish? are they on the banks of the lake or are they suspended in deep water? I was thinking that a saltwater fly which I think is called a suspender fly might be a good way to catch suspended crappy or gills in deeper water. this fly sinks real slow and then can be stripped back as a streamer.

I dont really know where they are we havent been there for a while and i havent really fished there in spring