Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tybugs1

Henrys Lake in Idaho

I'm learning on how to get my shy shots to look better and factor in all the exsposure and other elements. These I think are getting better but still need some work.

This is an evening shot this last weekend in between storms the last two weeks. Any ideas how I could have made this one come out better?

DSC_4466f1small.jpg

The next one is one of my fishing buddies with his rod bent. The sky is okay I think? however he is not exposed well. Any ideas?

The next are just a few fish shots that I thought came out ok?

DSC_4512t1small.jpg

DSC_4583f1t1small.jpg

DSC_4593f1t1smaller.jpg

DSC_4598f1t1small.jpg

Hope you enjoy. It was an awesome day out on the water. Any suggestions, ideas or crtiques are always welcome. Still trying to get a handle on all these photo elements :) I have some others loaded on the blog if your interested in seeing the others.

thanks ahead of time :) and appreciate your help a bunch!

Digging the fish shots for sure Lynn, gorgeous Henry's fatties.

The evening shot is a classic "brother blue sky" situation. You need to stop down to about f/16 to get a good sun star, then meter the blue sky to the right or left of the sun (with the sun out of frame). You then use the exposure lock that I showed you, by holding down the FN button on the front of your camera. Recompose with the meter locked, and you'll get a properly exposed shot and probably a nice sunstar too.

Digging the fish shots for sure Lynn, gorgeous Henry's fatties.

The evening shot is a classic "brother blue sky" situation. You need to stop down to about f/16 to get a good sun star, then meter the blue sky to the right or left of the sun (with the sun out of frame). You then use the exposure lock that I showed you, by holding down the FN button on the front of your camera. Recompose with the meter locked, and you'll get a properly exposed shot and probably a nice sunstar too.

I think I did most of that but I didnt do the f/16. I think I was at f11 or 9. I tried a bunch of times just didnt think of the stepping down the f stop piece. Dang it all. Do over :) Can you just come up here and follow me around for a week or two or three :)

thanks again for all your help---some of the stuff we talked about on your last trip up was used on the fish. I think it worked pretty good.

Hi Lynn,

I loved all the shots, they are great! That D300 seems to be serving you very well. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Lyn what Thresher said about metering the sky.

Brother Blue sky, and Brother green (foliage)

Eaiser to use manual though. Meter the sky, set your exposure and then recompose. All my sky shots are done that way, the only variable to that is whether I add a ND or not. Then I meter the foreground to determine my exposure value and the ND holds back the sky

Lyn what Thresher said about metering the sky.

Brother Blue sky, and Brother green (foliage)

Eaiser to use manual though. Meter the sky, set your exposure and then recompose. All my sky shots are done that way, the only variable to that is whether I add a ND or not. Then I meter the foreground to determine my exposure value and the ND holds back the sky

Sounds all technical to me :) I tried shooting some sky on saturday while guiding. I will post some when I get a little more time. I had mixed results but overall better. I tried playing with the suggestions you and Brett made. Still need more work :)

thanks for checking in and offering suggestions and appreciate the help