Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Dubbing Flies

Well I have never been very successful at dubbing so I have been practicing quite a bit lately and must say I have gotten much better at it and now that I am getting better I am beginning to really like how it looks on a fly.

This is something that I have been messing with that uses gray squirrel for the tail and the wing and uses opposum dubbing as the body. I'm sure this is not an original creation so if anyone knows the name of a similar pattern I would like to know so I could reference it by name in the future.

user posted image

Will, I don't know of any fly pattern like that, although there may be somewhere. dunno.gif

That is a great looking fly! You could make that body almost any color you wanted and it would still look great, and would probably catch some fish too! headbang.gif

Yea I'm hoping it will work for some steelhead if I get a chance to chase some chrome in the next few months.

it looks similar to a pattern I saw in an Irish fly book.....looks great, though...I'll see if I can find the book so you can compare....

At the first class I took the guy told us to take what we thought we'd need, then split it by half, and then half again. Of course we're talking size 12 and smaller.

So far it's worked pretty good.

Tight Lines,

Fatman

Nice looking fly there Smallie. Try tying it with a tinsel rib, it will add some durability and a little flash never hurt.

TB

Yea that is a good tip TB, I was planning on getting out and picking up some tinsel and other supplies but never got the chance.